SOLVED

"See all" link inside News modern web part is not respecting the Filters we define inside the webpar

Steel Contributor

I have added a News modern web part to our sharepoint online classic team site. and inside the News web part, i define to filter the News based on a custom property named "News Category" = IT, as follow:-

ffee.png

and currently i have 8 News pages which are associated with the IT category, and the most recent 5 will be shown inside the web part (as shown in the above picture). so everything is working well..

but the problem is that when i click on the "See all" link, i thought that i will ONLY get all the News pages which are linked to the IT category. but what i actually got is the most recent News items regardless of the Category.. so can i fix this issue? and to force the "See all" link to respect the Filter i defined inside the News web part (the "News Category = IT" in my case)?

9 Replies
Unfortunately this is by design...the page where you see all the news does not take into account any filter you have applied in the source News WebPart

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
Unfortunately this is by design...the page where you see all the news does not take into account any filter you have applied in the source News WebPart

and is there a way to control/modify this?

Thanks

best response confirmed by john john (Steel Contributor)

Maybe you can create a subsite for that category and show-all only shows news posts of that subsite.

Update (19.09.2019):
The filters started working now.

You can set the filter based on particular properties and the filtered content will be based on that property.

To set property, open site contents and select the page/file you wish to set property elements and add a column to that or edit existing.

Then use that specific property in the filter section.

I would not consider this by design for a few reasons:

• Why have a filter but no way to see all within the filter -- especially when the news web part typically only shows up to 8 items.
  • The 'see all' defines itself as more of a 'see more' as it shows up only after additional content within the filter is not shown.
  • Furthermore, it appears to respect the content sources/site selections, which is a form of filtering, when clicking see all. Making behavior inconsistent

On top of this, the Highlighted Content, a very similar web part, respects the filters when going to see all.

For those reasons I believe this is a bug with the web part

@shootingstar wrote:

Maybe you can create a subsite for that category and show-all only shows news posts of that subsite.

this is a bad design to create a sub-site just to store pages which have certain category !!!

@Mike Morawski wrote:

I would not consider this by design for a few reasons:

• Why have a filter but no way to see all within the filter -- especially when the news web part typically only shows up to 8 items.
  • The 'see all' defines itself as more of a 'see more' as it shows up only after additional content within the filter is not shown.
  • Furthermore, it appears to respect the content sources/site selections, which is a form of filtering, when clicking see all. Making behavior inconsistent

On top of this, the Highlighted Content, a very similar web part, respects the filters when going to see all.

For those reasons I believe this is a bug with the web part

this is a bug within the news web part, and i am sure(i hopt) we will get a fix for it soon

same exact issues here on a couple of tenants - but strangely, it was working fine until a couple of weeks ago - so we suspect something has changed in the service in recent weeks.
Has anyone found a solution to this? The "See All" link seems to still not work if the filter in eth web part is based on managed property, and there is more than one web part using that filter combination. Works if the managed property filter is used only once on eth communications site. Clearly, a bug!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by john john (Steel Contributor)