SOLVED

"Get a Link" changed to "Copy Link?" When?

Steel Contributor

Does anyone have a solid idea of when the "Get a Link" button functionality switched over to "Copy Link?" I just noticed my tenant has undergone this change, and I want to be able to tell my users when this happened. Also, does anyone know of a way to change the default settings so the "Allow Editing" box is unchecked?

Copy Link.PNG

35 Replies

Hi @Andrew Silcock and @Deleted,

Apologies for the slow response, I've been out on vacation for the past few weeks and am now working on catching up with everything. We actually have one team that works on sharing for both OneDrive and SharePoint (as we're actually one team) so your feedback is going to the right place. To make sure I have the right feedback:

1) When clicking share (and having the default set to "specific people"), users are seeing the link that "only works for them" and are making the assumption that when they add a new name, they'll be added to the link. They enter the target user's name and get an error message. At this point, they're stuck as they don't know where to go to fix this.

2) Even when the user does click on the link options, they now believe that the "specific people" option won't work for them so they are still stuck. 

3) And if the user makes it through (1) and (2), they don't understand that they need to click "send" to actually complete the share. 

4) When owner approval is required for sharing, the sharing dialog doesn't tell the user that there is an additional workflow required. 

Does this look about right? 

Our goal with the new sharing dialog is to create one of the best sharing experiences we possibly can. This is the first step we are taking to make this happen but it in no way represents the end. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Hi Stephen,

That's great to hear it's all one team and exciting to hear the feedback is going to the right place.

1) When clicking share (and having the default set to "specific people"), users are seeing the link that "only works for them" and are making the assumption that when they add a new name, they'll be added to the link. They enter the target user's name and get an error message. At this point, they're stuck as they don't know where to go to fix this.

That's correct. They get "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item" and from here there's no indication what to do next.

2) Even when the user does click on the link options, they now believe that the "specific people" option won't work for them so they are still stuck.

That's correct, they're on the "Yellow" icon again. There's also no mention when you're in specific people option that you're in the specific people option. Which leads to further confusion.

3) And if the user makes it through (1) and (2), they don't understand that they need to click "send" to actually complete the share.

That's right, additionally, the Apply button and consequent thinking/loading screen is quite striking and gives the impression that perhaps they have been sent the link already.

4) When owner approval is required for sharing, the sharing dialog doesn't tell the user that there is an additional workflow required.

That's correct. It's assumed the sharing has completed until you notice an email in your Inbox.

5 - Something else I've noticed. When you click apply after providing an external user with permissions, before sending them an email. It adds them to the list of External User Invitations under: /pendingreq.aspx. It adds them with a status of pending, but until I click Send, nothing has actually happened in this workflow process.

6 - Also as mentioned in a previous thread, it would be great to be able to make a team member (already with access) aware of a file via Outlook, without giving them unique permissions to the file. As per: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Make-colleagues-aware-of-a-file-without-explicitly...

Thanks!

Hi Stephen,

One other thing that we have finally worked out this morning when sharing externally.

If I share with someone's email alias, the external link doesn't work.  It has to be shared with the username they use to log with.

For example I can't share with andrew.silcock@company.com I have to share with as123@company.com.

This is causing us with no ends of user issues here.  Is this something that can be addressed by Microsoft or do we need to inform everyone of the work around?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andrew,

I want to make sure I understand exactly what is happening. In your example, is this the first time you have ever tried to share with andrew.silock@company.com? Had you previously shared with that address or the as123@company.com account? Where does the error you are seeing occur? Are you not allowed to complete the share at all or is the recipient getting access denied? 

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

And thanks for confirming I have all the feedback straightforward. I'll keep discussing it internally and see how we can improve the experience!

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for replying.  Yes, this is the first time we have tried sharing with this user, with any of their email aliases it also seems to happen if we try after successfully sharing with their username based email address.

The error occurs when the user clicks on the link in their inbox and prevents the user from ever opening the file with an access denied message.

The work around of sharing with the user's username based email address as123@company.com isn't going to be accepted by most users here, unfortunately.

Oh that's very odd. Do you have a screenshot of the error experience they see by chance? And do you know if they are using an MSA account or an O365 account? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen,

Good to hear this is odd and not as expected. It's definitely happening with O365 accounts, can you confirm what you mean by an MSA accounts? Given the amount of different external accounts this is occurring on though, I imagine this is the case.

I've messaged you six different examples, with various error messages.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andrew,

MSA's are Microsoft accounts or Live ID's, or whatever else we've called them over the years! :) Users who authenticate at live.com. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Thanks, Stephen, Yes some of these will be.

Sorry, having trouble following:

We are seeing this too:

"The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item"

Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround?

When you see "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item", it's not a bug, it's a valid message, but it's not clear where to go from here.

Hi @Damon Betlow,

As Andrew mentioned, this is expected. What is happening is that the link you are currently trying to share is permissioned to some set of users (let's say X and Y) and then you are trying to share that link with Z. 

To fix this, you just need to click on the link options and enter user "Z", then send the link as you were trying to do. 

We've definitely heard feedback that this feels a little confusing and we're working on some changes to make it work more smoothly. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Copy Link works differently when an item is inside the folder.

If an item is directly inside the document library, it opens correctly. But when it is inside the folder it redirects to DispForm.

Anyone has the same issue.?

Hi @vinayak hegde,

Can you explain in a little more detail what problem you are seeing? Are you not getting access to the file in some cases? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hello everyone, I have created an application customizer and it generates the url with id as OOB.

https://sharepointhd.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/copy-link-trouble-in-document-library-modern-sharepoin...

It also generates url with ID for pdf files, which it doesnt do OOB

@Matt Coats