"Edit in grid view" for selected people

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am using SharePoint online here, and I am having some trouble finding a permission setting. What I am wanting to do is to allow only selected people to be able to use quick edit. Now I have found the setting "Quick property editing" and the description reads "Specify whether Quick Edit and Details Pane can be used on this document library to bulk edit data.".

Now, this setting is all or nothing. Does anyone know how I can fine-tune this for selected people only?

Cheers

2 Replies

@Meow13 there is no way to do this out of the box. Possibly something with SPFx but as I don't use it I can't advise you about that.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Meow13  Take a look at this guide

“EDIT IN GRID VIEW” OPTION DISAPPEARS IN SHAREPOINT – Tayfun TEK (tayfuntech.com)

It's for granting access to grid view for external users, but you may be able to figure out a way to use the same premise to configure permissions for groups on the library to your liking.

If you want to add or remove a single permission to a role (for example, the UI automatically checks off others when you select EditListItems permission), you can do that using Add-PnPRoleDefinition or Set-PnPRoleDefinition in the PowerShell PnP library.

*edit*

My thinking is that you could this by creating folders in the library to share with this group (let's call it "No Grid Group" for now) to work out of. Then you would break the library inheritance, remove the EditListItems permission from "No Grid Group" by giving that group a custom Role without EditListItems at the library level, and then you'd share the folders with "No Grid Group" for them to work out of and be unable to use grid view.

I haven't tested it myself, and my example may require some tweaking, but you should be able to get it working since I have tested it with external users like the guide shows.

Unfortunately, there's no simple switch you can flip for this.