Quick Edit Pasting

Copper Contributor

Can someone explain what the actual limits are and what the best browser to use is if I want to paste data into a Sharepoint Online list using a quick edit view? I see conflicting information as far as what the limits are. Also, it frustrates me that it will return the "Unable to Communicate with Server" error, when in fact the updates will work if you just wait (but the error never message never goes away). If I want to work with large lists in SP Online, here are my questions:

1. Is there a limit on how many rows of data can be updated in a Quick Edit or Datasheet view?
  2. Is there a difference in a quick edit view vs a datasheet view? I feel like I see both of these names in different places. Is there a difference? Does it just depend on classic vs modern experience?
  3. Is one browser better to use than another? It seems like Edge has some things that don't work when they do work in Chrome or IE.

If anyone could provide some clarity on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

5 Replies

@CWagner I think the limit is 100 items at a time. I trick I use is to setup a view that shows 100 items and filters out the ones I've already updated. 

Quick Edit is the Modern SharePoint name for the Datasheet view in Classic SharePoint

Are you using the latest version of Edge (Chromium based) or the original version? I haven't had issues with the latest version. 

@Steve Knutson yes I believe I have the latest version of Edge. My frustration mainly is that I think the limit is technically 100, in that if you go over 100 you get an error message. But really you can do more than that. I will keep a separate duplicate tab open with the same view I am using to update, and with more than 100, I will get the error message with the red exclamation next to each item, but if I wait and monitor refreshing the other tab, I can watch the items still update in spite of the error message. I think I have done at least 1,000 successfully this way...

@Steve Knutson I regularly use quick edit to add well over 100 items at a time using Chrome. However I try to keep it below 300 as above that I find the page can (though doesn't always) stop responding in the initial paste phase before it adds each item.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott thanks Rob, I hadn't tried more for quite a long time. Old habits!

@CWagner I had noticed that. I'll give it a try next time I'm doing a large bulk update. Thanks for the tip.