Quick Edit button disappearing

Iron Contributor

For some reason the Quick Edit button disappears when I go in to a document library in SharePoint Online.

It was available before and was a very useful feature, but now even though it's enabled in the advanced settings it's not allowing me access to it. It pops up momentarily and then goes again - weird!

Any ideas?

23 Replies

Hi Michael,

and you do not have a item selected? as the button only appears as you do not have items selected.

No I don't have any items selected.
Someone modified the default view and removed some columns that would be required for the Quick Edit button. Try creating another standard view with default columns and save it, and it should show back up, but I'd have to go poke around to see what columns are usually required but that default view does require some if not all columns to show to be used on that view.
Is there somewhere in the view options that you can turn off the Quick Edit button? Or is it dependant on the columns that are visible? I have this problem that Quick Edit disappears when I switch to any view that is not default but I'd like it to be visible. Ideally the button should be visible all the time.

I found that removing the "Edit" column removed Quick Edit, and re-adding it made quick edit return. 

Also check the site columns; that was where I found my issue, someone had created a site column that no matter what new view I created, there were fields greyed out that I could not get rid of, even in creating a new library the quick edit was not there; so I removed the requirement on that site column and was able to create a new view and was able to see the quick edit at the top; went back to my troublesome library (it was a picture library) and the quick edit was back on the detailed view of that library as well.

Partially related, what I recently discovered is that once you disable Quick Edit you can also no longer edit fields in the details pane (on the right) in Modern Experience. Many users of our customers now struggle with this.

Not sure if this is relevant to any of the cases abovee, but I found that the Quick Edit button disappeared when changing the "style" property (found under Edit Current View) to anything but "default". Changing back to "default" brought back the Quick Edit button for me.

Thank you! Tried everything else, turns out it was the 'style'. Thank you! 

Surprised this would effect the Quick Edit, but what do I know?!

Well sometimes SharePoint works in mysterious ways :)
This worked for me :) Thanks!

@Michael Butterfield 

Deleting and recreating views worked for me. I found a view that seemed to always default to quick edit mode (not sure how that came to be). Switching to that view and exiting quick edit restored the functionality to the default view... but it was hit and miss... so I had to delete and recreate the offending view. Odd behavior for sure. 

@Michael Butterfield 

i know im late to the party and i just experienced the same issue. To resolve it i modified my view to have more editable columns and the quick edit button appeared.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Suhail 

@Michael ButterfieldHad this mysteriously happen to us this week:  only on some libraries.  When it happened, if we added the Title field, the Quick Edit button reappeared.  This only happened on some libraries;  some new libraries and a couple of existing libraries.  Had some of my end users in a panic.  Yesterday they had the Quick Edit button,then it was gone.  Talk about hampering adoption!

Thank you for this tip!!! That was my issue and I am not a super user and would have never figured that out. Thanks so much for posting this work around!

@Michael Butterfield 

I had the same Issue. It turned out I had made grouping in my view mandatory and this prevented the quick edit option from being visible. When I turn grouping off, Quick edit is visible. Now my issue is that I need the view to be grouped and still have the option.

@Erik Wettergren 

Had the same problem and your suggestion worked perfectly for me. I experimented with some "boxed" style - after I returned Style back to "Default", button [Quick edit] was back there.

Thanks!

Thank you! This worked for me, removing the grouping on my view.

But yeah, it does not stay after re-adding grouping :(

@AbhishekGarg . ALl good as long as it works. Hope there is a way to bypass the issue. Will update if I find a solution.