Questions on OneDrive sync limitation.

Brass Contributor

Hi Community, 

Our clients are experiencing SharePoint syncing delays using the OneDrive desktop client. We have a ticket open with Microsoft in regards to this() and they have suggested the reason we are having these issues is the list view threshold is 5000 items and we have over 300,000 items in our library. Can we do anything to resolve this for the client other than creating multiple document libraries and moving the data to them?

This affects users using the OneDrive desktop client, mapped drive and network location to access SharePoint. Within the OneDrive client the end users constantly see

“sync delay: you maybe experiencing a temporary sync delay due to high service activity”.

Users do not see this issue when using accessing files via the web browser. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!!

2 Replies
I highly doubt this is a list view threashold issue. But the client does say performance will degrade after 100k files or so last I checked. Let me see if I can find the limitations document, it might be 300k where it degrades but you don't want to offline sync large libraries.
Yeah here is the page.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/sharepoint-online-service-description...

"Sync - For optimum performance, we recommend storing no more than 300,000 files across all synced document libraries, even if you're using Files On-Demand or choosing only some folders within the libraries to sync."