Question about modern team sites

Iron Contributor

I just now am able to preview the modern pages in SharePoint. Today I was able to create a new page and play around with the options. I don't see any way to add a list web part (or app part). We have begun using the "promoted links" list template to create nice menus for the homepages of our sites. I was hoping to add that to the new "modern page" but see no way to do it.

Will this be an option, and if so, when? I need to plan if we need to start moving staff away from the tile-based menu on their sites (and I really hope we don't have to)!

Thanks!

6 Replies

I've seen various screenshots showing other web parts such as the new News one that are not yet available but even then the story with navigation seems limited.  Perhaps more are to follow.

Given that one of the first samples of the SharePoint framework they've released (http://dev.office.com/sharepoint/docs/spfx/web-parts/get-started/connect-to-sharepoint) shows how to display a list I doublt it will be long before the community fills in any gaps.

Thanks! I think I will feel more confident when I can actually see and try a method for displaying a list web part on the new page layout. I really hope there will be a way to do a tile menu and select your own images for those tiles. I tried the "quick links" and was not impressed. I really need a way to include a background image. I'll keep my fingers crossed for improvements!

Have we had any more news post-ignite about when and how web parts will be brought to the new page experience? I love the simplicity of the canvass and the responsive design, but without core web parts like lists, or content search, functionality is quite limited at the moment.

Based on a statement in this thread, the list/library web parts are still in development

I have been wondering about this too. I realise that the idea is that new  services and functionality are gradually introduced but the new pages although great to use have such limited functionality at the moment they are not useful for many objectives. Searching around however I found this https://www.tonyishere.co.uk/promoted-links-web-part-for-modern-pages/

I have not tried it but certainly sounds promising

I've gotten fed up of the whole thing really. The modern web parts look good until you actually try and do anything with them and then you bump into so many restrictions. How is it that after all this time this forum has a better text editor? why is it so hard to display a list of links? why does the header have to be so big? At this rate I can see it being another couple of years before it's fully usable.