Pulling properties from a list

Copper Contributor

I am currently working with a customer that has a SharePoint (2013) list and associated form/workflow for requesting a new server built in their VMware farm. The workflow is user fills out the form, SP emails the team responsible for approving. Someone reviews and approves the build, and a column in the list titled Approved is set to 1. I then have automation that pulls all servers in that list where "Approved = 1" and builds those servers.

Part of the automation creates a request in the customer's ticketing system, to track the build. I have been asked to add the name of the person who approves the server build to the request, but must admit I am unsure how to do this. I am not a SharePoint guy by any means, but have pulled all properties from the list, and do not see anything that correlates to "approver" or "approved by". I see an editor property, but that is not always the same as the person who approved it. I can see in the workflow the name of the user who approved the server, just not sure how to grab that and work with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

@JLogan3o13 If i understand you problem let me reiterate so that can help you wit some options:

You want to capture the Approved by person name and use it in the next automation process. As Last Modified By person not exactly the person who always approves because there might be further updates after the approval.

So first thing is to capture the approved by in column is needed to ensure you always get the good data this will be fail proof:

Step 1: Create a column named as Approved By make this as people picker

Step 2: Modify the workflow and check if the Approved =1 and Approved By is empty then set the modified value in to the Approved By Column

The step 2 will ensure who ever changes the status Approved =1 for the first time sets him as the Approver and this field can be used for your automation.

Hope this helps. Please mark the response appropriately if it helps in finding the resolution.

Vikram