SOLVED

Publishing pages in Pages Library to a modern page

Brass Contributor

So I'm migration from SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint Online. I've migrated my Pages library to SharePoint Online just fine and can see my content. However, I want to upgrade these to the Modern styling. I've seen how to upgrade Classic Pages to Modern Pages using PnP PowerShell, but there is a requirement there that the page is in Site Pages. 

Does anyone know of either

1. Upgrade classic publishing pages in Pages Library to a modern page or...

2. Move a classic publishing page in Pages Library to Site Pages to then upgrade to the modern pages with the PnP PowerShell command. 

I've tried to do a copy/move from within SharePoint Online but Site Pages is not an option to move to. I haven't tried to do a copy/move using PowerShell yet, but I'm not hopeful. 

Any guidance, links, or anything would be helpful. I don't want to have to recreate all these pages into a modern page. That would take months. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

There currently is no mechanism for transforming classic publishing pages to modern pages. At this point, it would be a manual effort to do it for your pages.

Totally agree here with Beau...PnP Team is building a SP Transformation Tool but It's to convert Wiki pages into modern ones so if you need this kind of transformation I only see the alternative you build your custom solution (Note: I'm not aware of a third party solution doing this)

There is a closed issue on the PnP solution that says they plan on adding the ability maybe sometime this year. Here's to hoping for it. 

For the manual process, are you saying creating new pages through SP UI and/or using PowerShell to create the pages than manually adding the content?

Is there a way to do it through code that anyone is aware of?

I may migrate as is and hope for a transformation tool.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

There currently is no mechanism for transforming classic publishing pages to modern pages. At this point, it would be a manual effort to do it for your pages.

View solution in original post