Publish date for our modern page (which is set as the homepage) does not equal the modified date

Steel Contributor

I have a classic team site collection (which is the root site collection), and i have a modern page which is set as the home page of the site. now today as of 3 January @ 17:33 i modified and publish the page, where the published date for the modern page was 03/01/2019 which is correct.

but later on, mainly on 04/01/2019 @ 00:15 i access the page, but i have noted that the publish date for the modern page is 04/01/2019 as follow, although the latest publish date should be 03/01/2019:-

0401.png

so i checked the "site pages" library and i can see that the modified date for the page is 03/01/2019 @ 17:33 which is correct, as follow:-

0301.png

so my question is why the publish date for the modern home page does not equal the modified date (the correct date)??

7 Replies
Published date is the first time it’s published. Modifications do not use this date field only modified column. It’s basically used for ordering of news articles on the news web part and if you update it will change the order of that. Otherwise each modification of a page would put it as new news each time.

@Chris Webb wrote:
Published date is the first time it’s published. Modifications do not use this date field only modified column. It’s basically used for ordering of news articles on the news web part and if you update it will change the order of that. Otherwise each modification of a page would put it as new news each time.

@Chris Webb

thanks for your reply, but I do not think publish date represents the date when the page was first time published, as you can see from the picture the page version is 219 and it has been publish for the first time at-least 6 monts ago..

It’s two different dates being called that. The one on the edit page is just basically last time it’s been checked in in an edit.

The actual column published date is first time.

@Chris Webb wrote:
It’s two different dates being called that. The one on the edit page is just basically last time it’s been checked in in an edit.

The actual column published date is first time.

@Chris Webb

ok thanks for the reply. so this return me back to my original question, why the publish date on the page does not equal the modified date then?

I assume because if you don't make any modifications but hit publish it will show the publish date, even thou you made the changes and "saved" them a day earlier. Publishing doesn't "modify" the document basically.
I dont think this is correct. when we publish (after making changes) the publish date is correct until you refresh the page and the date is changed to the next day. There is no world timezone that is one day ahead. this is a SP and MS bug - end of story

We are seeing the same error (Danish settings) - If you select Page Details, then the incorrect date is shown very nicely (whereas the site contents page shows the correct date)

It seems to use a US time zone for calculation, which in our case give a 9 hour difference (everything published after 3PM is referenced in the page as published the next day).