SOLVED

Promoting word documents as News in SharePoint?

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I hope you can help. Can I promote a document on SharePoint as news? If so, can I automate this process so that it posts automatically at the end of every Wednesday?

Would it also be possible to generate an email of the content to my manager within the same flow?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Luisa

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Ldavidson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ldavidson what you can do is to have a Word document uploaded to a documents library on your SharePoint site. Then copy the link to it. Next, instead of adding a news post you add a news link and paste in the URL you copied:

newsLink.png

Currently there is no feature to schedule a news post or a news link but it's being worked on by Microsoft (https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/32233861-schedule...). So for the time being the only thing you can do is that when you create a news link it actually creates a page in the Site Pages library. So you could create the news link and immediately un-publish it & switch it back to draft, then use a flow in Power Automate to change the PromotedState to 2, i.e a published new page, every Wednesday. It's a bit of a hack though.

The content of the news link item could be sent to your manager in an email via the same flow but I'd be tempted to wait until we can schedule a news page.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott  How can you change the PromotedState, isn't that embedded in the HTML for  the page itself? 

@bri992 no, you can manually change a PromotedState value or use a flow to do it.

Manually change the PromotedState

Click on the dropdown next to any column header and in Column settings select Show/hide columns. Next, check the PromotedState column. Save the view. Then go to Quick Edit and you can change the PromotedState to 0 (normal published page), 1 (draft news page) or 2 (published news page.)

promotedState.png

promotedState-change.png

Change the PromotedState in a flow

Again make sure the PromotedState column is visible in the (usually) All items view. Then in your flow add a SharePoint Update item action to change the flow to 2 (published news):

promotedState-Flow.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

that's why when I tried to modify the view, this column doesn't appear. show and hide columns showed it

When I go to Quick Edit the Promoted State disappears. is it normal?

@bri992 you must make sure that you have saved the view of the list with the PromotedState column in it.

Rob
Los Gallardos

I can see the column now in quick edit but it's disabled. maybe I should use flow for that? 

@RobElliottThanks Rob that's super helpful for the new post and for the potential way round automation! Good to know it's in development. I will definitely give this a go.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ldavidson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Ldavidson what you can do is to have a Word document uploaded to a documents library on your SharePoint site. Then copy the link to it. Next, instead of adding a news post you add a news link and paste in the URL you copied:

newsLink.png

Currently there is no feature to schedule a news post or a news link but it's being worked on by Microsoft (https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/32233861-schedule...). So for the time being the only thing you can do is that when you create a news link it actually creates a page in the Site Pages library. So you could create the news link and immediately un-publish it & switch it back to draft, then use a flow in Power Automate to change the PromotedState to 2, i.e a published new page, every Wednesday. It's a bit of a hack though.

The content of the news link item could be sent to your manager in an email via the same flow but I'd be tempted to wait until we can schedule a news page.

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post