Profile Picture Sync to Teams?

Copper Contributor

Our organization has had issues for multiple years with profile pictures not syncing properly across all facets of the MS infrastructure. Sometimes pictures wouldn't show in SPO, other times they wouldn't show in other systems.

We've been testing various places of upload and are continuing to see issues. 

When adding a profile picture from here (https://contoso-my.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/editprofile.aspx) we've seen varying results. Sometimes it syncs (nearly) immediately to all systems. In the first two test cases it synced immediately to every Office 365 system (SPO, teams, delve, Outlook etc.). However in my second two test cases it synced immediately to SPO and all other systems EXCEPT Teams.

For one of the users where it wasn’t syncing to Teams, I uploaded the same profile picture to Teams and it synced across Teams. For the second test user I’m going to wait and see if it eventually syncs to Teams. However I've tried a 5th user with the same results - doesn't sync to Teams.

We've uploaded user profile photos directly to Teams and they sync nearly everywhere EXCEPT SPO.

Is the solution to upload in two places?

Where should users be uploading profile photos so that they sync across all O365 apps?

Thanks for any advice.

3 Replies

@jtreu - I wish I had a good answer (... because I have been working with this stuff for awhile) , but other than 'you are not crazy', I don't.  Just to be clear, when you upload to profile pics to Teams and SPO it always propagates? If  you upload a profile pic to Teams only it sometimes propagates to to SPO.

@Gregory FrickThanks for the response! Correct, uploading to Teams sometimes propagates to SPO (and vice versa when uploading to SPO). However, it's inconsistent and doesn't work nearly often enough. However, when uploading a profile picture to both SPO and Teams, it appears to work. I'm not sure if this is because it's simply showing two technically separate profile pictures, or if it triggers the sync process.

@jtreu Thank you I am glad I am not going insane and I am not alone! This issue is frustrating though.

But - How do you upload profile pics directly into SPO? 

I find asking the user to upload their pic themselves in Teams to be the most consistently effective but still sometimes it won't pull through to SPO.

I have one right now where the pic is in Outlook, Teams, Delve even in the Admin MS365 profile but for whatever reason won't pull through to SPO.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a way to force it to sync? Or how do you upload direct to SPO?

Thank you!!