Problems with the list Title Field

Brass Contributor

Okay, so I know I am overthinking everything here.  But the default Title field of SharePoint lists has always bugged me.  I rarely have a need for field named Title and sure you can rename it.  But it is just weird.  The purpose of the title filed (because it is the single default) seems like it should be some sort of identifier for the record.  For my purpose that field should almost always be a calculated field.  But there is no way to make that field a calculated field.  So what I tend to always do is make a new field to be the calculated field, and use the title field to be any other single line text field I might need.  Usually there is one.   Anyway, it works (open to better ways if anyone has one). 

Seems to me that it would be better off that the default field just be some id field and let you customize how that id is calculated (autonumber, etc.)  I am sure there probably is already some sort of system used UID number.  But if that is the case why not just allow the default Title field to be customized to any type of field, even allowing us to delete it.  

Anyway, it seems a tad limiting the ways it is, but maybe that is just the way it needs to be

2 Replies
You can select the "ID" column to display in your list view, which is unique and sequential number. That way user can see both the ID and Title columns.

Hope this helps.
Chirag

@Chirag Patel Thanks,  I dont really need the id field.  I am just really wishing there was a way to delete the Title field, or for flexibility to repurpose it.  Changing the type of field it is (to a calculated field for example).  

I am able to work around it pretty easily right now, as stated about but that seems pretty round about.  Basically renaming it to be whatever single line text field I might need.  

Anyway, just looking to see if anyone had similar experience and dealt with it in a way that I haven't thought about.