SOLVED

Problems with cross-site navigation in hub sites

Iron Contributor

Hub sites finally arrived but I think I might have a problem with the cross-site navigation. When I connect a new site to my hub site a link to that site is not added to the hub navigation automatically. Is this expected? When I try to add any link to the hub navigation nothing happens. Am I missing something here? Anybody having similar issues?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Igor Karon (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The hub navigation by default is static and you must have full control of the main hub site, and edit the navigation on that site. Adding sites to the hub doesn't add them to the hub navigation. There were some custom spfx solutions people had made that show all hub sites in navigation.

Thanks for the clarification! And the other problem just resolved itself after a while. Maybe a timing issue.

I understood that I would have to edit the navigation on the hub site, I do have Full Control permissions, but when I use the Add link, enter the URL of the site connected to my hub site and save, nothing happens.  Even after 24 hours.

UPDATE:  When I attempted to add one link to the only site I have connected to my hub site, it would not save or show up on the linked site.  When I added two links - one to our current on prem intranet and one to my connected group site on SPO, they both show up and appear on the linked site.  Just a strange glitch I guess.

I have been fighting this too, so I guess I will try adding 2 sites instead of just 1.  

I still didn't get mine to work, so I removed the main portion of the URL when adding the link and it was fine.

only added the:
/sites/<sitenate> portion
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Igor Karon (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The hub navigation by default is static and you must have full control of the main hub site, and edit the navigation on that site. Adding sites to the hub doesn't add them to the hub navigation. There were some custom spfx solutions people had made that show all hub sites in navigation.

View solution in original post