SOLVED

Problems opening files on SharePoint iOS app

Deleted
Not applicable

I have started configuring the new SharePoint Modern pages on the SharePoint sites that have been created as part of an Office 365 Group. I want our board member to be able to access their board papers direct from the SharePoint site and stop using a dedicated board meeting application. 

The key requirement is or senior staff be able to easily access the files from any device especially tablets.

However I an encountering issues opening files when testing using the iOS app on both the  iphone and Ipad.

On the home page I have added the document library web part.

When I view the site from the SharePoint iOS app I cannot open any of the files from the home page document library web part. I can tick the file I want to open and have the option to open via Word online or Word. It does not matter which option I select nothing happens.

If I try and open any of the recent files that appear on the home page the screen then I still get the header part of the page wit the site name and the  menu icon on the left  and share and favorite icon on the right. Everything below the line is white.

However if I select the Document Library from the left-navigation menu it takes me out of the SharePoint app and into OneDrive and I can open the files OK.

I have downloaded the SharePoint, OneDribe and Word iOS apps

4 Replies
I have also just tried accessing the files from an Android phone and had the same problems.
best response
Solution
The Document library web part is really in preview state right now and has issues. You cannot rely on that, your best best is to use a quick link or something and link into the library it self to access the documents. Have you tried using highlighted content web part? It's on the roadmap to make the library web part better but for now it's a source of inconsistent evil.

Usually files are best access through the OneDrive app, even SharePoint, because you can click on the sites tab in OneDrive to gain access to files from the SharePoint site quickly and easily.

@Deleted many thanks. I have used the highlighted content feature and that seems to work Ok. I really struggle to learn and keep up to date with the Office 365 functionality as it changes so quickly

Many thanks for your help. I have used the highlighted content feature and that seems to work Ok. I really struggle to learn and keep up to date with the Office 365 functionality
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution
The Document library web part is really in preview state right now and has issues. You cannot rely on that, your best best is to use a quick link or something and link into the library it self to access the documents. Have you tried using highlighted content web part? It's on the roadmap to make the library web part better but for now it's a source of inconsistent evil.

Usually files are best access through the OneDrive app, even SharePoint, because you can click on the sites tab in OneDrive to gain access to files from the SharePoint site quickly and easily.

View solution in original post