Problems after color coding calendar/list items when using overlays

Copper Contributor

I set up some calendars in sharepoint. I created views so i could color code items using overlays. When a new item is created the user chooses from a drop down list and the item is color coded accordingly. This works without issue. 

The problem i have is that when viewing the calendar in the default view that shows all items from every view, i can't edit or delete items. i have to click into the view the item was created for. Also, after i click into that view all items default back to blue. 

Is there a way to edit/delete these items from the default view, or is there a way to color code items differently in the same view?

4 Replies

@jalward Yes, you can get rid of the double entries showing up. In the default view, do a filter that will always be false.  SomeField = x, for example. Then the default view will be empty, and only your overlays will show up.

If you have some events that are not in one of your overlays, change the default view to only show those.

@Robin Nilsson 

i am not getting double entries. My issue is that in the default view i can't edit/delete items on the calendar. i don't want to have to click into a view to edit/delete items. i want to do that from the default view that shows all items from every view.

@jalward Ah. I just tested on one of my SPO sites and it worked. I did the calendar overlay on the Event calendar list - one overlay was from a second calendar (green), one was from a second view on the Event calendar (purple). All color coding was correct after saving - if I edited an item from the main calendar, it went back to the view that had all overlays. If I edited an item in the second calendar, it did go back to that calendars main view, which would be all blue.

I've seen problems with editing  in our SP2013 on premise system because I hadbad  customizations, but other than that, I can't duplicate this behavior.

If you bring up developer tools do you see any kind of errors on the page?

@Robin Nilsson I don't know where the developer tools are (are you talking about SharePoint designer?). I am not a SharePoint admin so I don't have access to everything. I am just going to chalk this up to a limitation of the software.