Prevent users with Contribute permission from creating new folders while allow them to upload docs

Steel Contributor

We have a document library inside our sharepoint online modern communication site collection, and we have these 3 built-in permission levels:-

1) Read

2) Contribute

3) Full control

Currently users with Contribute permission can upload documents and create new folders. but my question is; if we can prevent contributors from creating new folders? for example by creating a cusotm permission level? i do not want to prevent creating folders from the document library's setting, because i still want users with Full Control permission level to create folders. Any idea if this is something we can achieve inside sharepoint ?

Thanks

3 Replies

Hi @john john ,

Afraid this isnt something that can be done. Any user with contribute or edit rights can create a folder. There isn't a permission for "Create Folders". 

Andy

@Andrew Hodges  ok thanks for the reply. so seems the only way is to disable creating folders on the list settings. and if we want to add new folders, to temporary enable creating folders >> create the related folders >> disable it again... does this sound a valid workaround?

Hi @john john ,

The command on the library only disables the "Folder" option on the "New" menu. It doesnt stop users creating folders by uploading them or by adding them in a synced folder. 

In any situation where a customer asks to disable folders I try to understand the problem they are trying to solve and look to find another solution accordingly. 

Hope that helps.

Andy