SOLVED

Prevent library member from editing columns

Brass Contributor

I have a SharePoint library in SPO, members have default permissions. What specific permission should be edited to remove the ability of members to change the columns in the library?

Thank you,

Anne

4 Replies
In SPO there is not permission per column

@Juan Carlos González Martín is there a permission that would take away the ability to edit all columns? Note I don't want to restrict the ability to edit the metadata contained within the columns. I would like to prevent users from adding or changing the columns themselves.

If there is no such way to do that, is there a permission that would keep users from altering the view on the library page?

Thanks

Anne

That should be feasible with a permission level that only allows to add/edit information in SharePoint, but not making modifications on lists / document libraries
best response confirmed by annetoal (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Juan Carlos González Martín I am looking at a creating a custom permission level, and the page is divided into List permissions and Site permissions. To be clear, does editing List permissions also affect Library permissions? More specifically, by taking away column edit permissions on Lists can I prevent a user from changing the column structure of a Library?

Thanks

Anne

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by annetoal (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Juan Carlos González Martín I am looking at a creating a custom permission level, and the page is divided into List permissions and Site permissions. To be clear, does editing List permissions also affect Library permissions? More specifically, by taking away column edit permissions on Lists can I prevent a user from changing the column structure of a Library?

Thanks

Anne

View solution in original post