Portfolio management in SharePoint

Deleted
Not applicable

Is there a tool/app that I can use with SharePoint that will allow me to do Portfolio Management?

I have been using MS Project, but I find the tool complex and time consuming to update - and we only have one license, which means that I have to do all the updating.

I would like to find a tool where my project managers can create subtask, update status, resource usage etc. without having to ask me. Also, I need the tool to have a graphical dashboard view which my managers can access to get a quick overview of status and resource constraints, without too much effort from me.

Unfortunately, Project Online is not an option.

9 Replies

You can use Microsoft Planner extending it with custom fields for your project using Apps4.Pro Planner Manager

Thanks - but I need something that doesn't require a subscription fee.

Anne...I've created what I call "project server light" out of SharePoint using the correct content type structure and taxonomy for all of the project sites used in a portfolio and then used SharePoint search to surface that information including refiners and intelligent sorting.  Furthermore I've hooked in Power BI for an interactive view of the projects (using the SharePoint search API).  Let me know if you need further details and I'll produce a blog post on the solution.

Hi Steve,

That sounds a bit complicated, but I would like to know more - It would be much appreciated if you could explain how to do it.

I'd also like to know more.

Let me work on a post explaining the configuration.  Thanks for the interest.

Hi Steve,

I am interested to hear more about the SharePoint solution you mentioning in your post below.  please can you share this blog post on your solution with me?

thank you so much

Heidi

hi Steve,

I am also really interested in the SharePoint solution you are referring to in my post below.  Please can you share the blog post with me on this potential solution?

thank you

Heidi

@Steve Pucelik  Hi Steve have you posted this blog already?