(Please help!!) SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard Installation Error

Copper Contributor

Picture1.pngInked2_LI.jpgHi, 

I have 2 virtual machine servers(windows 2016) created by Hyper-V, we are trying to use those two server to set up sharepoint 2016 and Sql 2016 separately. Everything is fine when I install sharepoint 2016 on application server, but there is an error message pop-up during I set up SharePoint 2016 Products Configuration Wizard(attached below).I looked up a lot of relevant information on Google, but It hasn't been solved yet. For now, I've checked these things out:

• 1) User Permissions
  • 2) Firewall doesn't block access and communication with your Microsoft SQL Server.
  • 3) SQL database is running and services.
  • 4) The ports on both server are open

Please HELP!!!! 

Thanks!

9 Replies

Kun...a few things to check:

1. The service account that you're using to do the setup should be a local admin on the SharePoint servers.
  2. Double check the access to SQL.
  3. Are there any events in the Event Viewer that help?
  4. The config wizard also generates a log file.  Look in that for events leading up to the failure.

If you have additional detailed error messages from these sources please post them.

HTH...Steve

Thanks Steve!

Inked2_LI.jpgHere is the detail error message in the log file, and that user account is a local administrator.

I wonder if that user account needs domain administrator permission?  The account I am using now is just a domain user. When I use this account to create sql database, it won't let me go through and shows that RPC server is unavailable. So I set up sql using the local server account , and add this domain user to sql users (chris*******) and give it all permissions. I'm not sure that's where it all started. Because I saw a blog it said I need to use a DOMAIN\Administrator account to manage a SQL Server and Sharepoint Server. But on Microsoft official website it only require that is a domain user.

Best!

Kun Yu 

The account doesn't need to be a domain admin, but it does need the ability to connect to SQL.  Are you able to login to SQL Management studio and go through the motions of creating a database?  If not then you're account doesn't have the right permissions.  They must have db_creator at a minimum.  

Oh, probably this is the root cause.

I appreciate! Steve 

I'll try it again follow by this way. Can I get back to you if I have any more problems?

The installation is trying to create a configuration database. The account which is used for installation should have db_creator permissions on the SQL. Can you validate if the user who is trying to perform installation has db_creator access to the SQL?

Yes...please keep the thread open if you need assistance.

1.JPG

Hi Steve,

I am trying to create the database in Microsoft Sql 2016 by using this domain user( Houston\Ch******)

But it give me the error message "RPC server is unavailable".Then, I search this error message in google and there is no effective solution. Do you know the reason of this problem?

Best

Kun Yu

Thanks, now I am trying to re-create a database though domain account.

But it still gives me the error message" RPC server is unavailable"

I have no idea about this issue

Best 

Kun Yu