PermissionLevel to allow site editing not to documents

Copper Contributor

I am looking for the correct setting to allow a user to be able to design/edit a site (add and configure webparts etc.) when he is:

a) not a teammember of the specific site

b) not allowed to see any document/content of that site.

Does anyone know how to configure this in Sharepoint Online?

3 Replies
You can give access to just the site pages library in the site. However if they are adding web parts that pull any content from the site such as document library or list web parts. They will not be able to see the data due to permissions.

Go to your pages library. Click the cog in top right then library settings. Under library permissions you can remove inheritance here and then add a user directly to the site pages. Then provide a link to this library from the URL bar.

@Chris Webb This does the trick. However there is one thing missing when the designer accesses the page and that is the left quicklaunch bar. Is this a module for which specific permissions needs to be set? Maintaining the left menubar is a key part of the designtask.

Unfortunately that’s going to be site permissions that goes off of so I don’t think you’ll be able to have the ability to edit that without changing up a bunch of permissions.

I mean you could turn of inheritance on all content lists and libraries to the site and then add them to the site layer itself but this could be tedious but it could technically work.