SOLVED

Permission to site homepage and specific folder

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am fighting with permissions. I want to create a portal for my partners and clients. Each partner is going to have it's own folder on this site. I want the partner to see site homepage with news and specific folder on Site Contents. I can't manage this. I give the partner access to homepage without access to site content. BUT when I send him Limited Access to specific folder in Site Contents, he gets full access to Site Contents. It's unacceptable.

What am I doing wrong?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Maciej Kukułka (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
You mentioned specific folder on site contents meaning specific library or folders within the library? If it is a library you can have unique permissions to the library based on the partner or clients but the problem is if you allow them to view the site contents, then they will see all the lists and libraries whichever they have permission, but that is ok because they can see the library and list and they can only view or edit based on the permissions defined.

Another option is display the respective document library and folders using the 'Document Webpart' on the home page with the command bar so that they can do all the functionalities in the home page without going to the site contents page.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves ur clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Thanks @Sudharsan K i tottaly forgot about setting permission on homepage

@Sudharsan K wrote:
Another option is display the respective document library and folders using the 'Document Webpart' on the home page with the command bar so that they can do all the functionalities in the home page without going to the site contents page.

This will do the job! :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Maciej Kukułka (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
You mentioned specific folder on site contents meaning specific library or folders within the library? If it is a library you can have unique permissions to the library based on the partner or clients but the problem is if you allow them to view the site contents, then they will see all the lists and libraries whichever they have permission, but that is ok because they can see the library and list and they can only view or edit based on the permissions defined.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves ur clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

View solution in original post