Permission level / SharePoint Online / Lists with Modern Experience (no O365 Groups assigned)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I found a strange behaviour. Anybody an explanation?

In SharePoint Online (based on the teams template with no O365 group) I create a new permission level, basically a copy of Contribute. I assign it to a SPGroup and break inheritance for a list. Now the list with modern experience has a multiline text field which cannot be edited, it says SharePoint has connection issues. 

When I assign the out of the box Contribute permission level, there is no issue.

The reason for making a copy and use my own Permission Level is that I want to move away some permissions, like being able to edit a page etc.

So why is there a difference between custom permission levels and ootb's?

Cheers

Joerg

4 Replies

@Yogie 

Are you saying there is no difference between Contribute and your permission level at the moment? 

@Andrew Hodges, exactly - I first created my own Permission Level and as this was not working, I started to add more and more permissions up to the point where my custom permission level was an exact copy of the standard permission level Contribute. Then I found out that when using my custom permission level it still was not working, but when chosing the Contribute (standard) permission level, it worked. 

@Yogie 

Have you tried using the Copy permission level option at the bottom of the Contribute screen. See if that has the same result.

Andy Hodges | ThinkShare | www.thinkshare.uk

Sorry, for the late reply. I tested both now creating a new permission level from scratch and using the copy permission level button. Both with the same results.