Per-Site Anyone Link Expiration Policy just for Communication Sites

Steel Contributor

I have a question regarding the message center post MC186627 "Per-Site Anyone Link Expiration Policy", roadmap ID 53748. We can use the feature in our tenant, but just for Communication Sites. If I want to change the policy on a group-connected teamsite Powershell fails with an error the parameters are not valid for group-connected sites. If I use the same parameters on CommSites we have no issues. Does anyone know why this feature is limited to Communication sites?

Example:
Set-SPOSite -Identity $Site -AnonymousLinkExpirationInDays 90 -OverrideTenantAnonymousLinkExpirationPolicy $true

Best regards

Tobias

6 Replies
It's not limited to just Comm sites, but it is excluded from Group connected sites, but normal Team sites, classic and comm sites allow it. Not sure technically why you can't do it to Group connected sites, could be something with guest access, but you would think it would be a separate setting.

@TobiasATmy 2cents - i would check if the Policy Lables (under azure > classification) are published for groups as well. P.S - you'll be able to see that only if you're the admin to that policy and if you've AIP plan in your subscription.

Hi all,

Can you confirm if you are still seeing this issue? Per-Site Anyone Link Expiration should work for all sites (including group sites) so if you are not seeing that, then that's something for us to track down :) 

Stephen Rice

OneDrive, Senior Program Manager

Hi @Stephen Rice , thanks for the input. I tested the command on a group site again, now it's ok for both site types. I'm using SharePoint Management Shell 16.0.9119.0. 

@Stephen Rice Maybe you can answer me an additional question about this feature? If the policy on the site is changed back to the tenant setting (e.g. 10 days), what happens with existing sharing links? Are they valid until they expire (e.g. for 90 days, from the previous configuration), or do they expire immediately?

Hi @TobiasAT,

Glad to hear it is working!

And it's been a while since I've looked at this but my recollection is that yes, the old links will respect the new tenant setting though I think they may only show up as expired after a user clicks on them (and gets the access denied experience). Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive