PDF file in file viewer not displaying but is downloading to the browser

Copper Contributor
When creating a new file viewer web part and assigning it to a PDF file in a library, the file viewer is not displaying the file in a viewer, it is trying to download it to the browser, which then will ask if you want to save it. This was working fine last November, something changed between then and February 2019. Any ideas?
4 Replies

We have the same problem with file viewer in Internet Explorer 11. I tried disable/enable Adobe PDF Reader add-on in browser, but it doesn't help as. In Firefox file viewer works correctly.

Try foxit pdf viewer.  Also make sure that you are using an external pdf program and that edge is not set to be the reader.  Edge is a pain I will be so happy went they finally switch to the chrome back engine.  Looks like netscape was right.  You should not so tightly integrate your web browser and your os.  @Roberta Freese 

Thank you for reply. We are using Adobe Reader in our company. File Viewer for pdf worked fine before November 2018. Probably Microsoft has broken this function after the next SharePoint Online updates and doesn't wont to fix it.

@Robert_Golobek 

Thank you for the suggestion. Sadly, I cannot change which PDF viewer is deployed on enterprise systems. We also have a group policy that controls all items in the browser internet options settings and what software is deployed. We are committed to Acrobat right now and need it to work as people at home will have Acrobat.