Page Quick Link doesn't preview and normal links can't be tagged for Highlighted content

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I'm new to SharePoint so maybe missing something obvious in my searching for a solution. Hopefully one of you may be able to point me in the correct direction.

When I create a link using the following method, I can see the url page created. This allows me to then tag the external url so that I can pick up the page using the Highlighted Content.

El-destructo_0-1614337479091.png

El-destructo_2-1614338580049.png

However, the preview doesn't work. See thread:-

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/link-web-part-not-generating-preview/m-p/2163106/h...

Apart from ending up with a complete eyesore(see below) due to lack of preview, clicking on the link opens up a separate page with the "Hmm...looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you". ..which again isn't exactly great.

El-destructo_1-1614337698176.png

I can create Quick Links on a page (preview still doesn't work) but at least I can select a different icon and I don't get the "hmm page".
However, I can't tag these to allow filtered Highlighted Content as there's no page link to tag.

This is the same for standard Links.  I can't tag them but at least they do pickup the preview and I don't get the "hmm page".

Based on what seems to be SharePoint Page Link preview limitations, is there any way that would allow me to tag standard links/quick links (on a page)  or preferably change the preview of Highlighted content to a selectable image?

Any help appreciated.

Tim

1 Reply
I'm guessing that with near 50 views and no comments/suggestions means that what I am trying to do isn't possible and is just a really odd limitation of SharePoint preview :(