Organizational News Took 24 hours to show up on SharePoint Start Page

Iron Contributor

So here is my story about how it took 24 hours for Organizational News from one of my communication sites to show up on the SharePoint start page. I will document out my steps and observations to hopefully help others who may have a similar experience.

Setup:

• Communication Site Alpha (Hub site)
    • Contains a News Web Part
  • Communication Site Bravo (Associated to Alpha Site
    • Contains a News Web Part

I wanted to designate news from BOTH Alpha and Bravo as Organizational News so that they would appear with special color block in the site name on the news tiles (this color block designates that news is Organizational). Therefore I ran the powershell commands to set both sites as Organizational News. I ran the same command 2 separate times (once for each site). And PowerShell confirmed that both sites were indeed Org News sites.

Now here is where it gets really wonky! After I set both sites to Org News, I noticed the special color blocks on the tiles when viewing news directly on both of the sites themselves. This was great! However, only the 1st site (Alpha) showed up to standard visitors of the sites in their SharePoint Start Page.

Furthermore, my start page actually showed the news from both sites in my SharePoint Start Page except only Site Alpha's news had the color blocks on the site title in the tiles. While Site Bravo's news showed up on my Start Page, they did NOT include the org news color blocked site titles. I believe I understand why standard users were only seeing site Alpha's news and not Site Bravo's news (regardless of the ORG News designation). I think I was seeing all news because I actually created all the sites. I feel like creating a site automatically makes you follow/subscribe to the news from that particular site.

Ok...but the main problem is this:

My end users only saw news from Site Alpha and not site bravo. Even though I designated both sites as org news at the same time...it seemed to take about 24 hours or so before end users could see Org news from site Bravo.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would it take so long to propagate the 2nd org news site?

So the moral of this long and somewhat (who am I kidding...this was super long and drawn out!) drawn out explanation is don't freak out when your organizational news doesn't show up on the start page for end users right away. It could take up to 24 hours apparently. 

I also understand that Office 365 could be suffering from the stress of everyone working from home and all the new Teams users etc. Hopefully once we are back to some kind of normalcy, it won't take this long for org news to propagate to the SharePoint Start Page!

Good luck! 

0 Replies