Organization assets library

Iron Contributor

I can create an organizational asset library using power shell without issue if my -Orgtype is the default "ImageDocumentLibrary,".  If I try to create a Office Template library, with the below command it does run successfully with no errors.  But the library does not seem to receive the additional attributes it needs to become a Template library, as I can not the see the template library in any picker nor do I see it in any of the office products(word, Excel, Powerpoint ect). 

Add-SPOOrgAssetsLibrary -LibraryURL https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/branding/Assets -ThumbnailURL https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/branding/Assets/contosologo.jpg -OrgAssetType OfficeTemplateLibrary

Am I missing a step to get this working?

41 Replies
We see the same in our tenant also, PowerPoint Templates but no Word in Office Online

@itsbrad 

Confirming same issue in our tenant. Works in desktop apps and PowerPoint Online only. Frustrating.

Ticket to MS is send.

@tobiassoler Out of interest how many users in your organisation. We use it internally for 10 users and have a client with 100 staff use. Have proposed to an org with 10,000 as a possible solution but not sure on one this size. They want to roll out in phases etc...
Hi David. We are about 15.000 users. The need for consitensy is high. Just got of the phone with MS tech. support. Not much help there, but they wil try to speed up sync in our tenant he said. We created the asset library about 30 hours ago, so in theory the folder shoul be visible by now.

It took about 4 months but it is finally there.  Didn't do anything - it just showed up.

Same here it just showed up.

@itsbrad And how long did you wait?

4 months, wow. And here I am, waiting 24hrs, wondering ...

I have just got around to setting up my Org Asset Library. Everything seemed to work as expected with the Powershell command - after a couple of self inflicted errors. I am now seeing the same results as many other respondents to this thread. Desktop apps can all see and access the templates just fine, however it is only available to the Powerpoint web app. So, I am glad my experience seems consistent with everyone else, but was wondering if there is any progress or plans to have this available for Word and Excel web apps?

@itsbrad 

Just set up our first library to share Word templates and am having a similar issue.  The only place I can see the library showing up is in Powerpoint Online, where it showed up within minutes of creation.  It will not show up anywhere else, including the desktop apps.  

@Joe-AdminPatience. In my case it took several days (!) to show up in Word on desktop. In Office Online only Powerpoint gets the templates, not Word. 

@Daniel Sidler  

Thanks for the tip on the online version, I'll note that it's working as intended for that. 

Interestingly my issue turned out to be specific to the install of Office on my own workstation.  I tested it on a laptop with the same account and it showed right up.  I had a few users test it afterwards and it showed up for them.  I ended up doing an uninstall/reinstall and deleting a bunch of registry keys and that got it working on my workstation.  

I also noticed a lot of people saying it requires an E3/E5 account.  I'm running a single E3 account, the rest of my users are running Business Standard.  It's working fine for all of them.  

@itsbrad I have the same problem. The templates are displayed in the desktop apps Word, PowerPoint and Excel, but online only PowerPoint. 

Experiencing the same issue here - newly provisioned template Asset Library and files showing in all the desktop apps, but can only see files in PPT online, not Word or Excel. Surely Microsoft need to provide some advice here? I will log a job. Any feedback from others welcome. Cheers.
ate hoje nao consegui o teste do windos 11
Same experience for me (using M365 E3 license) - our Organisation templates appeared in all the desktop apps after about 6 hours. However, out of the browser apps, they only appear in PowerPoint.

Interesting that this docs.microsoft.com article from Microsoft with instructions on how to create an organization asset library ONLY mentions PowerPoint templates: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/organization-assets-library
I logged a job with Microsoft on this issue (files only show up in PowerPoint Online) and they advised this was as designed/a limitation that they weren't planning on resolving at this point in time. So I have advised my customers to use the templates from the desktop versions of the apps only.
Useful update thanks Kelleew. To be fair, most of our Word and Excel templates contain elements (such as images overlays, certain style elements, etc.) which the browser versions of the apps can't currently cope with anyway so it's probably not such a bad thing. Once (if) the browser apps become as fully-functional as the desktop apps then I'd expect the template issue to be something that Microsoft address.

@itsbrad 

We've also had the issue of the organisational Templates not appearing in the Office app's under 'New'. Sharepoint permissions were set correctly on the Templates site. But after many Microsoft support calls finally the issue was resolved. It appeared that access to the Root site collection was not set correctly.

@Han_Uil Thank you very much for this information! I'd just like to doublecheck (because it has been reported previously that MS does not further follow up on this bug): Most of the users here (including me) have reported the issue that Templates were available for PowerPoint only, but Excel and Word templates were not showing up in the web applications under 'New'. Can you confirm that after changing the 'Root Site Collection Permission', you see your Word and/or Excel Templates under 'New' ? If that's the case, wuld you share some further details about what rights were missing? Thanks in advance and kind regards.