Open new tab instead of same window in sharepoint online

Copper Contributor

I'am using sharepoint online and creating a communication page.I would like a new tab to open when i click on a link instead of opening in the same window. Is this functionality not available.

14 Replies

Hi @johnvankollenburg 

there's no OOTB setting to generally open links in a new tab.

- SharePoint will open external links in quick links WebPart or navigation automatically in a new tab

- In the SharePoint text web part you can define, how will be openned

Regards, Dave

Hi @David Mehr,

thanks for your response. 

I included a tiny/ short link to an external intranet page in the top navigation bar of my SharePoint. 
I tried adding "web=1" to the end of the tiny link but it does not seem to work. While it opens a new tab, it does not route the URL correctly anymore but rather drops me at the dashboard of the intranet page instead of the specific sub-page.

Is there a way to use the "web=1" URL extension with tiny links?

Thanks! 
Adrian

@ABSAP Microsoft releasing a new feature using which you will be able to open the navigation links in new tab.

This feature supports:

Check more information about the feature and release timeline at: SharePoint: Configure Navigation Links to Open in a New Tab 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap

Do we know if this capability will be rolled out for quick links in a SharePoint site as well? I have a use case where I'd like for users to click on a quick link within a page and have a new tab opened for them to view the content instead of having the content loaded on the same window.

@sharonleow This is requested by so many customers and it is one of the most wanted feature in SharePoint modern experience.

The similar feedbacks/ideas have been submitted on SharePoint feedback portal, check: Quick links open in new tab 

This has been acknowledged by Microsoft but no ETA on feature rollout yet: We are currently working on a plan to add this feature, but have no timeline to share at the moment.

SourceAbility to open Quick Links items in new tab - You can vote on this idea for more visibility

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

This is less of a functionality and more of a restriction. You need to use the text webpart as a work around. Unfortunately its difficult to make the text webpart look like the quick links webpart. The only way of realistic achieving this is to hire a SharePoint developer to write a bespoke webpart. This may seem like a sledgehammer to open a nut (with this kind "functionality" in really basic HTML . But that's the way the Microsoft economy works, less innovation than legislation

Hi @johnvankollenburg and all the people that are still searching for a solution 1 year later :face_with_tears_of_joy:

You can use this tool : https://www.shorturl.at/shortener.php 

It will shortener your link and will rename it by the way. SharePoint won't be able to recognize it and will automatically open it in a new tab.

Have a nice day every one !

Hi there @johnvankollenburg 
It's now possible to open a document in a new tab using a Quick Links WebPart. This feature is live since 6 days.

@johnvankollenburg @Daveholly @Segolene_Duong @sharonleow 

Microsoft is currently rolling out a new feature for SharePoint Online quick links web part which will allow you to open links in new browser tab.

You can choose to open individual links in new browser tab using quick links web part settings, like: sharepoint-quick-links-web-part-open-in-new-tab.png

@ganeshsanap but why is it always a half-baked job. The accordion drop down doesn't allow. Have to remind users to use Ctrl+click to do that. Sheesh!

@BerniceSIt's my belief that Microsoft has a secret internal road map for SharePoint, in which it will reach parity with HTML 4 functionality in approximately 2074.  Assuming there are no delays.

@James6M Thanks for that belly-laugh this a.m.!

Is this update available in SharePoint on-prem as well? I need to find a solution to open links in a Hero web part in a new tab.

@Segolene_Duong Please note that there is a caveat to this. 

* Short URLs that do not have at least one click per month are disabled