Open external links in modern sharepoint sites and hub site navigation in a new tab

Brass Contributor

Hello, we have several external links on modern sharepoint pages and in our hub site navigation. Do you know any way to make it possible to open these links in a new tab (especially for ext. links in hub site navigation and quicklinks web part)? 

Automatically opens ext. links in the same tab:

• hub site navigation
  • quicklinks web part

Automatically opens ext. links in a new tab:

• Hero web part
  • communication site navigation

Appreciate your help!

3 Replies

Hi @Michael Böhm , did you find a solution of this problem ?

I have the same problem. I would like to open external links in sharePoint in a new tab.

I m wondering if you can share your solution with us.

Many thanks,

Fatouma

I have the same issue@Michael Böhm 

I need to be able to open links to documents within a new tab in Mordern SharePoint site.

Please help

@Michael Böhm @Jennifer1180 @Fatim1008 

It is now possible to open links in SharePoint quick links web part in new browser tab. Microsoft is currently rolling out a new feature for SharePoint Online quick links web part which will allow you to open links in new browser tab.

You can choose to open individual links in new browser tab using quick links web part settings, like: sharepoint-quick-links-web-part-open-in-new-tab.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.