OneDrive For Business Sync Client session validity - timeout

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I need answers to following questions

1. How many sync clients are there for one drive (personal / business etc..)

2. How to identify each one of them what is the right way

3. What is the session validity for OneDriveForBusiness Sync CLient,

4. What if the user logs on to a desktop/server RCP Remote session and signins to one drive for business, Now user locks n leaves or disconnects the remote session and onedrivesyncclient is still working, how will the onedrive will continue to work ...?

3 Replies

Hello,

I need answers to following questions

1. How many sync clients are there for one drive (personal / business etc..)

There is only one sync client with new NGSC client. You can login to both business and personal accounts by clicking on settings and add an account.

2. How to identify each one of them what is the right way

Your personal Onedrive has a white icon in your taskbar with hover text OneDrive-personal or just Onedrive.

Your business Onedrive has blue icon with hover text "OneDrive -your Company"

3. What is the session validity for OneDriveForBusiness Sync CLient,

There is no session timeout for new OneDrive Sync Client

4. What if the user logs on to a desktop/server RCP Remote session and signins to one drive for business, Now user locks n leaves or disconnects the remote session and onedrivesyncclient is still working, how will the onedrive will continue to work ...?

I think the data gets stored in local cache of the server and still syncs to the cloud. 

Thanks for the Answers Naveen,

However my requirements is around the last question,

I actually have this requirement to sync data from different machines to odfb one drive for business

So what i do - i log on these machines and then launch odfb client choose the location and then lock or disconnect the remote rdp session

However what i am noticing is every two to three days the sync stop unless i log on to the same machine again and do either pause and resume which actually initiate the signin or simply initate signin straight away...

So when there is no session expiry or timeout then why does the sync stops ?

OneDrive Sync Client get's credentials from Operating System of logged in user. So when the user is not logged in for a period of time the credentials are aging out and it doesn't store person's credentials anywhere else. It's not particularly suited for these backend sync tasks it's more of designed for Users to Sync while they are actively logged in.

Onedrive might not be best tool for these type of tasks. If you want to sync files from multiple machines while the files change using Azure logic apps or flow might be a better idea or else you have to keep logging in.