SOLVED

Old: How to set a subsite as a hub site homepage for a department? Modified: Should I request access

Copper Contributor

Old Question: Currently, I'm tasks with building a SharePoint site for my department. We currently have a subsite and only access to that site and not the top level. I want to make this current subsite the hub and then add two additional subsites underneath. For example: 

Hub Site (for department Motors). I want to add two additional sub sites for Parts and Finance. Please help. If the subsite can not be set as a hub site, how would I go about making the subsite "hubsite like" in structure. This is a team site. 

Modified Question: 

With the new information of SharePoint subsites foresighted to become obsolete...I'm trying to build a robust SharePoint site for my department. We are a subdivision that is part of a larger network. I currently, don't have access to create my own site. I have full control access for the subsite though. Should I request access to receive site creation rights for what I am tasked to do?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hello, the simple answer is that you can not manage to set the subsite as the hub site.

Why do you need to work with subsites?
Could it be possible to migrate your subsites into Team sites? Microsoft is aiming to work with a flat site structure and remove subsites in due time.

@ArefHalmstrand 

Understood. I didn't know it was becoming obsolete. I am currently using SharePoint on Premise so I don't believe the subsites would be impacted...I'm not sure. 

I'm trying to build a robust SharePoint site for my department. We are a subdivision that is part of a larger network. I currently, don't have access to create my own site. I have full control access for the subsite though. Should I request access to receive site creation rights for what I am tasked to do?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Hello, the simple answer is that you can not manage to set the subsite as the hub site.

Why do you need to work with subsites?
Could it be possible to migrate your subsites into Team sites? Microsoft is aiming to work with a flat site structure and remove subsites in due time.

View solution in original post