Office365 Groups not showing up in SharePoint

Copper Contributor

I am changing our internal SharePoint site and our company plans to more extensively use document libraries. I have created a separate site for each division and then created document libraries within each site that will be used to view and share documents.

I have created groups with Office365 (and I tried all types), and was going to grant permissions in SharePoint so those groups could access the document libraries. These groups do not show up when I go into Sharepoint to grant permissions.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

5 Replies
This is by design, you need to use the modern Admin Center to have access to the modern SPO Sites connected to Office 365 Groups
He’s talking about adding members of those groups to permission on the sites.

My question is why didn’t you just create the groups then utilize the attached SharePoint sites for them?

Anyway I can’t recall if you can use an office 365 group like a security group when it comes to SharePoint permissions. I’ll have to test it.

I don't think I understand Juan. what is the "Modern Admin Center". When I use admin.microsoft.com I don't see an option to use modern. I am obviously a little new to this so appreciate the patience.
I think that is what I am trying to do. I create the group at admin.microsoft.com and then go to SharePoint and try to add that group to the document library. That is where the group does not show up.

I appreciate the help Chris.

@rheitrich when you create a new SharePoint site, from the new SPO admin center, or from the SPO home page, you automatically get an Office 365 Group, which eliminates the need to create this group as you did. 

Since you already the sites created, i'm assuming that you created them in the old/classic SPO Admin Center, and use the classic Team site template. If this is the case, you can follow the instructions in the article written by  @Juan Carlos González Martín  at https://www.petri.com/adding-new-office-365-group-existing-classic-sharepoint-online-site