SOLVED

Office 365 Profile picture not displayed inside SharePoint People Web Part on Modern Site Page

Bronze Contributor

I'm having an issue regarding Office 365 profile pictures not displaying on the Modern SharePoint People Web Part inside Office 365. We have this issue seen in two separate Office 365 tenants, both located in Europe. One tenant is Cloud only, so it's not connected via Azure AD Connect. The other tenant is using federated accounts and has both Azure AD Connect and ADFS implemented.

Behavior summary:

• Profile picture displayed in Office 365 Suite Bar: Yes
  • Profile picture displayed in Office Delve: Yes
  • Profile picture displayed in Outlook on the Web: Yes
  • Profile picture displayed in Microsoft Teams: Yes
  • Profile picture displayed in SharePoint People Web Part on a Modern SharePoint Page: No, although we would expect the picture also to be displayed there.

Detailed behavior

When the profile picture is set in Office 365, it is shown in all Office 365 Apps, except inside the SharePoint People Web Part on a Modern SharePoint Site Page. When I remove the picture using the Change Picture link inside the Office 365 Suite Bar, or remove it via Microsoft Teams and later change it to a different picture, we run into the same scenario: The picture is shown everywhere in Office 365, except inside the SharePoint People Web Part located on a Modern SharePoint Site Page.

See the attached pictures displaying the issue. 

More people of you seen this issue? Do you know a workaround or do you know how to fix this?

Office 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-1-SharePoint and Office 365 Suite Bar after changeOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-1-SharePoint and Office 365 Suite Bar after changeOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-1-SharePoint and Office 365 Suite BarOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-1-SharePoint and Office 365 Suite BarOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-2-Microsoft TeamsOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-2-Microsoft TeamsOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-3-Office DelveOffice 365 profile picture not displayed on all services-3-Office Delve

65 Replies

3 Years later, this issue still exists. Microsoft needs to either create a button for us to run their script or fix the dam issue

Hi Harold van de Kamp. Does this serverside fix still work users that added a profile pic after the synch?
Would you recommend going through Microsoft Support, or is it something I can do on my end for this?

@chillis This is what I have done in my organization to fix this issue. We have on-prem AD, syncing to O365.

As I understand it, the sync process is like this: On-prem > Azure AD > Exchange > SharePoint.

I have my techs upload the picture to on-prem AD using this method (and only this method): https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19028.active-directory-add-or-update-a-u...

They then wait 48 hours (probably excessive). Then they have the user log into our SharePoint Home page: https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/SitePages/Home.aspx

I can't do that for them, the user must do it themselves. Then it works.

If, for whatever reason it does not work, I have my techs rinse and repeat. From the top. And that is the only way I've got it to work consistently. The reasons for all this were explained to me by MS, and while it was a crappy explanation, and I'm not going to go into all that, but it was explained.

Hope this helps someone.

"required changes serverside which caused the issue for some Office 365 users:"

What were the "required" changes?