SOLVED

O365 Global Admin has no access to recent SharePoint Online site collections

Deleted
Not applicable

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that O365 Global Admins do not automatically get access to recently created Site Collections in SharePoint Online?

We have a small group of O365 Global Admins and all of us have MFA enabled.  This means that we often can't use our accounts for scripting and other various O365 add-ins/tools.

So I have a service account setup, which is also a Global Admin, but doesn't have MFA.

This account is able to get to older Site Collections (where it's not specifically in the SP Groups), but it's unable to access more recently created site collections.

I either get the:

Access Denied

myserviceaccount@corp.onmicrosoft.com does not have permissions to access this resource.
Here are a few ideas:

Please ask the site admin to give you access.

If you have a different account, try signing in with that account.
This will sign you out of all other Office 365 services that you're signed into at this time.
If this problem persists, contact your support team and include these technical details:
Correlation ID: xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Date and Time: 15/11/2016 2:00:00 p.m.
User: myserviceaccount@corp.onmicrosoft.com
Issue Type: User does not have permissions.

Or I get the:
You need permission to access this site.
[I'd like access, please.]
Request Access

Judging by the sites that work, this change looks to have been in about the last month or so.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm going to try creating a SPAdmin only account and see if that has better luck than a Global admin.

Thanks
Craig
30 Replies
No idea. You're asking the wrong person.
You'd probably need to check the documentation for your backup software.
sorry for spamming the thread, it kept telling me it had failed to post...
Apparently this will all be fixed up in the new SP Online Admin UI.

Great script, saved my 4ss

Proposed enhancement : replace the current site admin by the new one (global admin for example), and add the old one as the secondary site admin.

@Deleted

Can you please ,if possible, expound on 

1. where you get this info

2. more details 

Hey @Yuri Deglin,

the details a HERE.

Hope that helps.
Craig

Exactly.
It's the same case with me.
Users are able to mess around with creating sites and teams, and when they cry for help I must ask them to give me access... an the we go into the painful loop of explaining where to click and what to do.
So my 5 minute intervention turns into an hour(s) long jumping through hoops for the simplest of tasks.
SInce I have to do both, it has made it very difficult for me. I have a lot of users just going in creating stuff and then never delete it. How do I manage that?
My unfortunate response has been to turn off global Site, Team, O365 Group, Planner creation and restrict it to a handful of users who know what they're doing (naming schemes, conflicts, etc) until we have better tooling around site provisioning... which one of my guys has been working on using the SharePoint Patterns and Practices stuff.
Great and very helpful script. Thank you!

@Trevor Seward 

Why say anything at all if you are not going to say what to do to fix the problem. 

Expected really doesn't help anybody.