Noob - Confused about setting up permissions

Copper Contributor

I need to set up a hierarchical document repository (not unlike the old NTFS permission structure).  1) I don't know the best method for doing this - a set of document repository apps from the team site or different sub-sites.  2) I'm confused about setting up permissions.  What I'm trying to do is migrate our Dropbox structure to SharePoint and keep it very simple.

Basically, I just want company users to be able to add/edit/delete files and be able to invite outside individuals for the "Client" directories/apps (see below).  I don't think I want company users to be able to create new sites or apps, be able to change permission settings, or the structure of the site(s)/repositories, or even add new repositories.  The following would be the basic structure.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on getting started and learning more about hierarchy and permissions.  I've not been able to figure it out.  It's not intuitive.

• Team site (read/write permissions for all company employees)
    • Customer 1 Company Files (read/write permissions for all company employees)
    • Customer 1 Client Files (read/write permissions for select company employees, plus outside individuals - not inheriting permissions from team site)
    • Customer 2 Company Files (read/write permissions for all company employees)
    • Customer 2 Client Files (read/write permissions for select company employees, plus outside individuals - not inheriting permissions from team site)
    • ...and so on.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.  I'm lost.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Replies