News webpart don't show content to external users

Copper Contributor

We have given access to another tenant (XYZ). Using this guide: Create a B2B extranet with managed guests | Microsoft Docs

On our tenant, we have a communication site (hubsite) and on the front page is a News web part, where news from other communication sites is displayed. Tenant XYZ have permissions to read this news, but can see the News webpart at the hubsite. The news in the web part is displayed to users in our own tenant.

1. We have tested on other sites.
  2. We use targeting and no targeting
  3. We can see that the web part is trying to load
  4. We have switched to different browsers
  5. We have switched to different browsers
  6. We have switched to different computers

Without result.

6 Replies

@Allan Nielsen any update on this? I am facing the same issue. The external users can see the newsitem on the source site, so they have the correct permissions.

same issue here.

I think that's expected behavior. Is your hub site an external site and have the guest users been added?  Guest users have limited ability to do things.  Otherwise you have to spend on a license. 

All sites are configured that "existing guests" can access. I would not expect this behavior, on what grounds? Guest User cannot access content in News WebParts? These users have a license, only in another tenant and I cannot assign a license to a guest user. If this is really a limitation I would like to see this documents.
on the following site I found this:
https://laurakokkarinen.com/sharepoint-online-guest-user-troubles-and-how-to-get-past-them/

The web part doesn’t utilize search for fetching the news. If you check Fiddler while the web part loads, there’s no request to the search API that’d get the news. In fact, the web part makes a request to https://northeurope3-sphomep.svc.ms/api/v1/news/sites?start=0&count=13 to fetch the news, which doesn’t return anything for guests. This was also confirmed by the premier support: The issue that you see here on the news web part is not related to overall search but to a specific call that is made by the web part. It uses a call that does not work with guest users. The current behavior is by design. The required code changes to change the behavior are outside the scope of a fix and can only be considered for the long term. At the moment there is no timeframe when this behavior will change.
I prefer the guest usage as locked down. I assume anything they don't have access to is permissioned as "everyone except external". If I want a guest to have access to news, I license them by created a tenant account and putting them in the AD group that has the license assigned to it. Much easier to manage as part of our on/offboarding process.