News Webpart - Displaying personalized News based on Followed sites - Modern sites

Copper Contributor

Is there a possibility to display personalized news on News webpart placed on a Hub site, based on both below criteria:

1.) Display News only from sites which user is Following ?

2.) Display News from all sites mapped with a Hub site - I understand this is possible.

Thanks for your response.

5 Replies
The relevant to you search is being added in as an option to the news part if it’s not there yet which will show all the sites you follow news. It could also show some other news as well if sites you visit often but from what I’ve seen I don’t think there is or will be a “followed sites” option.

As for the hub news in the source for the news webpart you select sites in this hub.

We do have "Recommended for current User" as one of News source selection option for News webpart. Basically, need to understand how this functions exactly. My requirement is that News should be displayed to user on Hub site, based on their individual preferred market/function sites & definitely sites which are mapped with Hub site.

If I understand you correctly, by configuring "Recommended for current user" it would display News pages from all sites, which a user "Follows News" from. What am aware is we can follow/unfollow sites as a whole. How do we follow/unfollow News specifically in any site? 

You can't really.Following the site basically forces it to the recommended list. You can't follow news itself. If you use group sites, being part of the group would also classify as recommended news too.

I know audience targeting is coming, but I'm not sure that will affect recommended news as opposed to what is displayed, but that could be something to look into.

@Chris Webb 

This is really interesting discussion as I am working with a client who wants to determine or personalise the news surfaced to each user.   This content could be user selected or predetermined based on role.

The recommended news for the current user seems a bit basic in that the user needs to explicitly follow a site.  Better if this could be done dynamically say with profile properties with search able detect an changes  Audience targeting is one option when this is ready. 

@Anil Kumar  Hi Anilkumar, Hope you are doing well. Even I am looking for the same solution. Can you help me with the same. If you find out a solution.