SOLVED

News Web Part showing news post with "other" pages

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I've a communication site that is also a hub site in my SharePoint Online.

I've created and published a news post (that is a page saved in Site Pages). I've also created other pages with web parts and other stuff. When I add a News Web Part to my home page, it shows the news post but also pages that I've created before, but not saved/created as news post.

I've tried to play with web part settings but without success. If I create a page (for other purposes, for example showing a Power BI report) I don't want to show it as news in my home page news carousel.

Is anyone experiencing this? Is there a way to hide "other" pages to the News web part?

Thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Pepozzo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Pepozzo Add the value Promoted State to a view in your Site Pages library. News pages are Promoted State = 2 and "regular" pages are Promoted State = 0. The News web part filters for pages that are Promoted State = 2. You may have accidentally created News pages instead of Site Pages when you created the alternate pages. Check to see what the value is for Promoted State for your "non-News" pages. If it is not 0, then that's your issue. To change them to "regular" pages, you can create a view that Groups by Promoted State and then drag the pages between the groups to "re-set" the metadata. Here is a link to how to add Promoted State to your Site Pages library and a few other things I like to do in order to manage Site Pages.https://www.computerworld.com/article/3441838/one-simple-view-to-improve-sharepoint-page-and-site-ma... 

@Susan Hanley thank you!

I'm still having some trouble to change state using the method you've suggested. I've also tried with Set-PnPListItem (PnP PowerShell) without success.

My site is a communication/hub site and I've read that is seems possible to change PromotedState only on Team Sites connected with O365 groups. I don't know if this is confirmed.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Pepozzo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Pepozzo Add the value Promoted State to a view in your Site Pages library. News pages are Promoted State = 2 and "regular" pages are Promoted State = 0. The News web part filters for pages that are Promoted State = 2. You may have accidentally created News pages instead of Site Pages when you created the alternate pages. Check to see what the value is for Promoted State for your "non-News" pages. If it is not 0, then that's your issue. To change them to "regular" pages, you can create a view that Groups by Promoted State and then drag the pages between the groups to "re-set" the metadata. Here is a link to how to add Promoted State to your Site Pages library and a few other things I like to do in order to manage Site Pages.https://www.computerworld.com/article/3441838/one-simple-view-to-improve-sharepoint-page-and-site-ma... 

View solution in original post