SOLVED

News Web Part and Public/Private Teams

Copper Contributor

If I have a news web part pulling news stories from multiple sharepoint sites/teams, will all users see the news stories regardless of whether they have membership in those particular sharepoint sites/teams or not? Does the private/public team setting impact the display of these stories? 

For instance I want ABC Team's news feed to also pull from DEF, GHI, and JKL's Team's news feeds. If GHI is a private team that I have membership in and I select that site's news posts to display, will non-members of that team also see their news posts? 

2 Replies

Hi @MBUWACR ,

News is a page in SharePoint, the news webpart will only show news if the user has permissions to that page.

As a member of a Team permissions are automatically granted on the underlying SharePoint site. 

If a News article is created in a SharePoint site underneath a private channel then only the members/owners of that private channel will see the news.

Summary is that all news is security trimmed to the user viewing the news.

best response confirmed by MBUWACR (Copper Contributor)
Solution
News obeys permissions first. That determines WHAT you can see.
You can see news posted on sites where you are a member
You cannot see news posted on sites where you are not a member.

If you pull from 5 different sites, and not all of your members are members of those sites.,they will only see news where they have permissions.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MBUWACR (Copper Contributor)
Solution
News obeys permissions first. That determines WHAT you can see.
You can see news posted on sites where you are a member
You cannot see news posted on sites where you are not a member.

If you pull from 5 different sites, and not all of your members are members of those sites.,they will only see news where they have permissions.

View solution in original post