SOLVED

News Post and News Link Missing on "New" Menu

Iron Contributor

On our intranet's home page, when clicking on the "New" menu item, there is only "Page"and "copy of this page".  There should also be options to create a new news post or news link (among others).   If I edit the page, then discard changes, all the options are there, but if I then refresh the page, it's back to just page and copy of page.

What controls what is available on the "New" menu?  I compared this with a test site's homepage but I can't determine what is different about them.

2021-04-05_122528.jpg2021-04-05_122510.jpg

7 Replies

@LucidBike1140 if you have a news web part on your intranet homepage then clicking on the dropdown next to Add will give you the News post and News link.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Hi Rob. Agreed. I just cannot understand why it disappeared from the "New" menu. I have users who have been asking me about it. I guess it's something they were used to. Strange that it's gone and strange that it returns when I edit the page, then discard changes, but if I refresh, it's gone again.
best response confirmed by LucidBike1140 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
How did you create the site? This same thing happened to me when I used ShareGate to copy a site. There was a bug in ShareGate that failed to indicate that the site was a "home page." The bug was subsequently fixed but we found a work-around for the impacted sites. Here's how we fixed the issue: We temporarily made a different page the home page (from Site Pages, using Make home page). Then we re-set the original home page as the home page and all the options returned. Hope that helps!

Hi @Susan Hanley,
Yes, the site was originally migrated (two years ago) using ShareGate. I can't remember if this page was the original home.aspx or if I created a new one. What's strange is that when we first switched to this page, the menu items were there but then they disappeared at some point.  I used PnP PowerShell to quickly switch it to a new home page and back... and they're back!  (I did try just using PnP-SetHomepage to reset it, but it didn't help.  For some reason it had to be switched to another page and back.)

Set-PnPHomePage -RootFolderRelativeUrl sitepages/TempPage.aspx
Get-PnPHomePage
Set-PnPHomePage -RootFolderRelativeUrl SitePages/Home.aspx
Get-PnPHomePage

Thanks for your suggestion!

@LucidBike1140 Hi Steve,

I have a solution i believe. 

We could not create New > Link via that path either.

You simply need to go via Documents folder of the Site in question:

RaymondDeng_0-1647477645483.png

Let me know if this helps?

Regards

Ray

@RaymondDeng Thanks, Ray, but the original issue is that the new news post or link was missing.  In the document library menu, it only allows the creating of regular (non-news) links.  As mentioned earlier, the solution involved temporarily switching the page.  That has been the permanent fix.

We are having the same problem after using the Copy File action in Power Automate.

All of the templates we've created are missing the ability to do anything but create a new page.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LucidBike1140 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
How did you create the site? This same thing happened to me when I used ShareGate to copy a site. There was a bug in ShareGate that failed to indicate that the site was a "home page." The bug was subsequently fixed but we found a work-around for the impacted sites. Here's how we fixed the issue: We temporarily made a different page the home page (from Site Pages, using Make home page). Then we re-set the original home page as the home page and all the options returned. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post