SOLVED

New-SPWOPIBinding : Sorry, we have encountered an error and New-SPWOPIBinding has failed.

Iron Contributor

Hi

This is a tale of 2: Office Online Servers . Both

1. Both Patched with November 2017 PU
  2. Both single instance OOS farms created with a self-cert using the same PS script
  3. Both working perfectly, until I decided to recreate and re-export the self-cert ( to the respective WFE) . Is was part of diagnosing an issue that needed a firewall change which has now been successfully implemented.
  4. Now one of the OOSs gives this error when I try create a SPWOPIbinding
PS C:\New-SPWOPIBinding -ServerName  OOS.mydomain.com
WARNING: The server did not respond. Trying again (attempt 1 of 5).
WARNING: The server did not respond. Trying again (attempt 2 of 5).
WARNING: The server did not respond. Trying again (attempt 3 of 5).
WARNING: The server did not respond. Trying again (attempt 4 of 5).
WARNING: The server did not respond. Trying again (attempt 5 of 5).
New-SPWOPIBinding : Sorry, we have encountered an error and New-SPWOPIBinding has failed. If you are using a 
server configured with HTTP, you must include the -AllowHTTP parameter.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-SPWOPIBinding -ServerName  OOS.mydomain.com
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (Microsoft.Share...tNewWOPIBinding:SPCmdletNewWOPIBinding) [New-S 
   PWOPIBinding], SPCmdletException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewWOPIBinding

Recreated the OOS Farm without any issues>

OOS with Issue.PNG

I can validate https://OOS.mydomain.com/hosting/discovery ok

OOS Discovery.PNG

I have checked Port 443 access from the WFE to OOS, also OK

The log location seems a work of fiction!  Any ideas anyone please.

7 Replies

All

I suspect this might be my issue.  Is there a time problem as it is out of sync between the two servers? @Trevor Seward

oos Cert error.PNG

best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Have you added the cert to both the trusted root store in the certificates mmc as well as a trusted root in SharePoint central admin?

I think you are on to something there.

You can always enable CAPI2 logging for a detailed error (and what Trevor said) :) .

-Mike

Generally a time sync issue can lead to problems with the validity time of the cert which would prevent communication.

But a time sync issue is significant for domain-joined clients and... well, lots of services. Fix that first via w32tm.

Hi

This morning. I imported an internal cert created by one of my colleagues and recreated the SPWopi farm then attempted to the SPWOPIBinding command:

New-SPWOPIBinding -ServerName OOS1.mydomain.com

- No success ;-(

Next I imported the cert in the trusted root store as you suggested and immediately, I was able to create a SPWOPI binding.  I repeat the same steps for the other OOS instance.

Once thing we noticed is the additional step of importing the same cert on OOS into the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities on OOS instance.

Thanks for you excellent advice.

Mike, what is CAP12 logging btw ?

I did manage to locate the (hidden) ULS log dir in the end after a number of system prompts .....
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OfficeWebApps\Data\Logs\ULS

Worked like a charm all the time "time was the issue" @Daniel Westerdale 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Westerdale (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Have you added the cert to both the trusted root store in the certificates mmc as well as a trusted root in SharePoint central admin?

View solution in original post