New sites not using the defined sharing settings

Iron Contributor

I have my demo tenant SP settings set to Anyone but when I create a new SP Team site the sharing setting is set to New and existing users (and therefore the Anyone link for end users is greyed out)

What am I missing?

clipboard_image_1.png

All new sites get this:

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_2.png

9 Replies

Hi @mikkele ,

Its due to it being a SharePoint site connected to an Office 365 group. 

Interestingly creating SharePoint Sites without a group is my preferred method as Groups just add a load of stuff that isnt usually needed. When creating a SharePoint Site without a group the default is No External Sharing regardless of what the tenant setting is. 

Hope that helps.

Andy

Thanks the reply @Andrew Hodges 

If after the site creation, I change the settings of the new site to be Anyone, it works as expected (external users can access the Anyone link that has been shared)

I don't think it has to do with being connected to an O365 group

This is by design: when a Team site is created, the default sharing capability is that one...of course, you can change it once the site has been created
Yeah, no way to change this behavior, you have to change it after you create these groups. I would like to be able to have it the default to Anyone and restrict if I want, but as of now you have to go bump up the sharing option.

So practically the Anyone setting in the SP Admin Center is useless? If this setting is supposed to provide the default for new sites the organisation level...

clipboard_image_0.png

Hi @mikkele ,

The purpose of the setting is not to set the default, it is to set what options are available per site.

The default setting is different depending on whether you create an Office 365 Group with the Sharepoint site or not. 

Andy

@Andrew Hodges 

The purpose of the setting is not to set the default, it is to set what options are available per site.

Got it. So if I understand correctly these 4 options should match those that you see on the Sharing panel as end user.

Does this mean that New and existing users in the Admin settings is the equivalent of Specific People for end users?

Out of the 4, this is the one that doesn't match in the name at all

clipboard_image_0.png

The default setting is different depending on whether you create an Office 365 Group with the Sharepoint site or not. 

Can you give an example on this? where do you find other default sharing settings outside of SP/OneDrive?

Hi @mikkele,

Got it. So if I understand correctly these 4 options should match those that you see on the Sharing panel as end user. 

The settings there dont match but you are correct in that if you remove the "Anyone" from the Tenant Sharing settings or do not have it set on the Site Collection then the "Anyone" is removed from the Link settings. 

Does this mean that New and existing users in the Admin settings is the equivalent of Specific People for end users?

Its not the same but affects the functionality of the Specific People. If you do not have New and existing users selected at the Tenant and Site level then you cannot add external users using this option but you will still be able to add internal users.

Can you give an example on this? where do you find other default sharing settings outside of SP/OneDrive?

When you create a new SharePoint site there are 3 options, on the first Screen. Team site, Communication site and Other Options. The first 2 create an Office 365 Group which contains a SharePoint site, when you do this the setting that is selected as soon as the SharePoint site is created is New and Existing Users. If you select Other options and "Team Site" (which I use most of the time) the selected option when the site is created is "No Sharing". 

Hard to explain over a forum, needless to say External Sharing can have a design all of its own and I am doing just that for a couple of orgs, there are plenty more settings too.  

Hey @Andrew Hodges 

I was not aware of the other option which is only available in the Admin Center

FYI Communication sites are not associated with an O365 Group

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/modern-experience-sharing-permissions

End user experience

clipboard_image_0.png

From Admin Center

clipboard_image_1.png