SOLVED

New Site Pages - Remove Promote Feature

Steel Contributor

I just noticed today that new site pages have a promote feature - which makes it a news announcement promoted on the SharePoint homepage.

Firstly how do you disable this feature?

And how do you remove the news post if something say has been posted by trigger happy people?

Promote.PNG

Thanks

22 Replies
best response confirmed by Philine von Guretzky (Steel Contributor)
Solution

After some research it looks like this is a common pain point, but per several MS responses there is currently no way to disable this. 

Sorry to have to say! 

Thanks!

Frustrating MS tactics. Make people notice and then only maybe allow them to manage the feature.

Mmm....adding here @Mark Kashman to me we should be able to enable / disable this feature and not being something that is always present

I've just been using this feature and found it useful. However, logically there should be a Demote option to allow users to reverse the action and the site admin should be able to restrict the ability to Promote with only the site owner gaining the feature by default.

MS doesn't let you toggle off Communications sites, so doubt they'd let you toggle this option either. They're really pushing the "intranet" features of SP Online.

Problem is that renaming or deleting the pages does not remove them from the news section either. So you have dead links and no way to remove content. Microsoft, please explain that logic.
@Mark Kashman could we have some *official* feedback on this please? @Philine von Guretzky raises some key operational points. I find the feature useful but the add / change / delete cycle is important. Thanks!

+1 we've had users promote pages then ask us to demote them as it wasn't what they wanted. How do we roll it back ? @Mark Kashman

I found another post that showed me how to demote it, and I recorded a video ...

Works perfectly, and I learned a few things along the way !

Thanks for the video.

Is this on the roadmap as if you provide a button for the user to promote a page there really needs to be an OOTB way to de-promote as well. While the solution provided works I don't think you can ask a regular user to do this.

Hi, 

The column for Promoted State is not present anymore. So does anybody else have an idea on how to "demote" a news page?

Same here. I just promoted a random page on our intranet (Communication Site) just to test the feature. Took it for granted that I could remove it again (e.g. simply by pressing the button once more).

Tried the workaround, but the column doesn't show up.

To see the columns you cannot go through the classic way like modifying the view, you must go through 'Show/hide columns'.

Reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/How-to-Demote-News-page-from-Team-site-and-Remove-...

The drag and drop in a grouped view no longer works for Promoted State. It Is now no longer possible to demote a page. 

@M365061290 Thanks for posting this. I'm not a developer and many here are not, either. What do I do with this github link? Is there something that a simple Power User can apply?

@Ingeborg HawighorstTrue it's not possible to demote news by dragging in the grouped view in my newly created sites. In my old ones, it's still possible. And very little votes in the UserVoice https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/36544987-un-promo...

I can share tha package , which you can deploy.
I can provide the deployment steps
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Philine von Guretzky (Steel Contributor)
Solution

After some research it looks like this is a common pain point, but per several MS responses there is currently no way to disable this. 

Sorry to have to say! 

View solution in original post