New Profile Cards show recent files - although we have the graph disabled

Steel Contributor

Just noticed the new Profile Cards popping up in OneDrive and in the latest pages of Sharepoint.  While I do think they are very useful and work nicely, what is the logic behind recent files? In most cases I cannot see documents I recognise or the connection I have to them. In addtion since we disabled the graph I was under the impression that documents won't be shown. In Delve I cannot see recent files, I do see them in the profile card in OneDrive/Sharepoint though.

Any pointers are appreciated.

We have fairly relaxed permission levels across Sharepoint, nevertheless showing others documents managers are currently working is something we do not want to push out there. It makes it even more confusing if those documents don't relate at all to a user.

Thanks

8 Replies

Interesting question and finding....if you disabled the use of the Graph in the tenant (the SPO setting) my guess is that the Contact Card should not display any information around file activity...adding @Mark Kashman @Stephen Rice

I'm not super familiar with this area but I'll pass it along and see if I can find someone who is. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

@Stephen Rice have you found someone who might have an answer?

We really would not like to share documents as openly as this and have set our settings to do just that. Would be great to see this adhered to.

Hi Philine,

I'll ping the thread with the right folks and see if we can get some clarity. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Just a nudge to see if anyone as answers?

Thanks

@Mark Kashman would you be able to advise as to why we see documents in the new peoples cards on Sharepoint/OneDrive although we have the graph disabled.

Thanks

The profile card can show recent documents you have shared in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint in Office365. Only you can see your private documents on your own profile card unless you decide to share them. Other users can only see documents on the profile card they have already access to in Office 365. Have a look at "Your profile in Office 365" to learn more about what is shown on the profile card.

If you don't allow access to the graph for your tenant, you disable all functionality in Office 365 that is powered by the graph, such as Delve and the Discover view in OneDrive for Business. However, other users will still have access to documents which they have permissions to. They will still be able to open them, search for them in SharePoint search, or see them on the profile cards. 

If you want to keep a document private, store it in OneDrive for Business and choose not to share it. If you want you can always share it with others later. I hope this information helps explain the observed behavior.

Thanks Stefan for clarifying this.

We have disabled the Graph for the very reason that we don't want documents to be presented in Delve, nor highlighted anywhere else eg SharePoint HomePage. Aware that this is permissions related, but there is a huge difference between being able to access documents or having these shoved in front of you and seeing what someone is working on right now, if you are just looking for someone's contact. Hence disabling documents being shown in Delve but overriding this and showing them in the profile card everywhere else is inconsistent.
Staff are just not comfortable with content being made available that way .
It would be appreciated if the Graph setting would be adhered to across all features and not just Delve.