New Edit New Menu option how do i turn off

Copper Contributor

After having added a new content type in a new group from the main SharePoint site, I went into one of my sub sites and then to a document library. I wanted to add the new content type to the new menu in that library. I went into library settings > Advanced settings > Allow management of content types? and set this to yes just for this document library. The description to the left of this question states "Specify whether to allow the management of content types on this document library. " In advanced settings I also set Opening Documents in the Browser to client and I left the list experience option as Default experience for the site.

I have now found whatever document library I go into on the entire site and then subsites the new > edit new menu option now shows for every document library in the SharePoint environment. If I change Allow management of content types back to No, the new menu option is removed completely from the document library but the new and edit menu option remain on all other document libraries in the SharePoint site. I am an owner of this site and subsites. I am concerned other standard users will start to change the new menu themselves.

Please advise how I can turn off the new > edit new menu option off and on for all document libraries in my site and subsites. Thank you for your help on this matter.

1 Reply

I would love to know answer on this as well. We have given group of users View only access to the site, so they can't modify menus or pages. We give them edit access to the library as they need to be able to add/edit/remove documents. However we don't want a single user to be able to modify the "New" item menu for all users of the site. I've done some googling and can't find any way to disable this, would be great to know how before I have to start going around and fixing broken menus.

Edit: Additional info for a work around, if I change the users permissions on the library from Edit to Contribute, the option to add a template is removed which is good, the Edit New Menu is still visible but clicking it does nothing. So prevents global changes but will be confusing to the users as the option shouldn't be there. Contribute also has other limits so not ideal either.