SOLVED

.net Core 5 or 3.1 installation on Existing SharePoint 2019 Server

Copper Contributor

We want to host custom solutions that run on asp.net core 3.1 / 5.

Is it supported to install .net core 3.1/5 on existing SP 2019 server (where you already have .net FX 4.7.2 running).

Purpose is to host our backend of onprem SPFx solution on same application frontends of SharePoint 

3 Replies
Might I ask why you want to host the custom solution in your SP 2019 farm?

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Actually its SPFx based solution which needs REST API backend that communicates with SQL server. its a system with few custom forms. The backend does not use CSOM also, it uses SQL server at the backend which is also same SQL of SharePoint server.

We don't want to have new hardware for just this application, so we prefer to use same SP 2019 frontend server to host ASP.net Core 3.1/5 app as well.

best response confirmed by Shahid Roofi Khan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shahid Roofi Khan Personally, I wouldn't run this Web API on your SharePoint farm servers. I would host the application on another server if possible. You wouldn't want to take away resources that your SharePoint Environment needs.

Now, I don't have the specific answer to your question, but .NET core and .NET Framework can co-exist and run together on the same server in IIS. I am doing this in non-SharePoint environments, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Shahid Roofi Khan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shahid Roofi Khan Personally, I wouldn't run this Web API on your SharePoint farm servers. I would host the application on another server if possible. You wouldn't want to take away resources that your SharePoint Environment needs.

Now, I don't have the specific answer to your question, but .NET core and .NET Framework can co-exist and run together on the same server in IIS. I am doing this in non-SharePoint environments, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't.

View solution in original post