SOLVED

Need Save as Draft Button in SharePoint List without creating New Version

Copper Contributor

Hi Gurus,

I have requirement to have 'save as Draft button' in sharepoint list.I have done that. I faced the problem , every time list is edited and drafted a new version is increased. So i stopped the versioning by selecting

'No ' under item version in versioning settings of list. It does my requirement ,But now my problem is Version history is not maintaining .Only approved version (one item) is displayed in version history.

How do I get older versions to be displayed or in other way How do I stop versioning for new Draft version alone ? Please help. I was searching for long days.

Thanks

Annamsoft.

8 Replies
Hi,
Item versions are maintained only when the versioning is enabled. Maybe you can maintain a minor version as drafted version and major as a published version.

Thank you for your response Sudharsan. I need drafts for List .Minor, Major version options are available for only Documents :(. How about maintaining for List.Is there any option for List to maintain Draft Minor and Major versions. Please help!

best response confirmed by Annamsoft (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
Sorry, I forgot that you use list. In list as you said there is no minor or major versions concept. But there is an option 'Keep drafts for the following number of approved versions' which you can try, I haven't tried this option. If the above option doesn't suit you then you have to maintain the draft and the versions using custom code.
Hi, please mark the best response if it resolved your issue, it would help others in the community.

Thank you Sudharsan. I done with the work Around of Custom Code to maintain versions for List.

I have used another temporary list to store draft versions and Main list is for Major versions.

It works!

@Annamsoft 

The point of versioning in a list is to be able to keep track of the changes that people make. Every time someone edits your list item, that change is tracked as a new version. If you need content approval to track approved vs pending items, you can turn that on. But it comes with other issues, mainly that people don't do it and all your stuff gets stuck in pending limbo.

What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve? Why is it an issue if the list version increments?

@Rachel Davis 

Thank you for your response. Each time a when I edit draft a document, version gets incremented.

My requirement is to have version increment for approved documents only. For e.g if a person is drafting a document 5 times and 6th time he sends for approval . I need version as 1 not 6.

Thanks

Annamsoft

@Annamsoft 

Then you need to turn on major/minor drafts and assign someone as approver/publisher. As you edit a document, it will increment 0.1, 0.2. 0.3. etc. When you've all agreed that 0.3 is good, the approver can publish it as 1.0. From there it will increment as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.

Depending on how you've set up your permissions, you can control who sees/edits draft versions vs the published versions. 

This does require DISCIPLINE with the process of reviewing and publishing documents. I've seen too many libraries where this seemed like a good idea at the start and then no one actually published the documents and now there are 100's at version 1.123 or something and the visitors are still only seeing version 1.0.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Annamsoft (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
Sorry, I forgot that you use list. In list as you said there is no minor or major versions concept. But there is an option 'Keep drafts for the following number of approved versions' which you can try, I haven't tried this option. If the above option doesn't suit you then you have to maintain the draft and the versions using custom code.

View solution in original post