SOLVED

Navigation inheritance not working for communication site to subsites

Copper Contributor

Hi!

Im having some issues with navigation inheritance.

I have created a Communication site and created a site navigation as mega menu:

navigation1.PNG

When i created a subsite i get the correct theme and color:

navigation2.PNG

But the navigation is not correct.

I tried to click "use links from parent" in the top navigation but still the same issue.

Anyone who knows what i can try next?

//Michael H

4 Replies
Hi,
I would recommend to avoid subistes creation under modern sites. Instead go to Hub Sites + Sites joined to the hub
best response confirmed by Michael Henriksson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Michael Henriksson Microsoft recommends using flat site structure in SharePoint online instead of sub sites.

You can have same theme and navigation for multiple sites using hub site and associated sites concepts.

Check below Microsoft official documentations for detailed information about this: 

1. SharePoint information architecture - Guiding principle: the world is flat 
  2. Planning your SharePoint hub sites  

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Hi!

I ended up using some separate sites and connected these to the hub.
Still a bit confusing why the option to inherit the navigation is there but not working.

Thanks
I had the same issue and it is totally confusing, it even gets worse when searching the web and everyone simply suggest "do not use subsites", but all those options are still there – but with missing functions and bad documentation. Please just remove stuff that is not working or not supported anymore.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Henriksson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Michael Henriksson Microsoft recommends using flat site structure in SharePoint online instead of sub sites.

You can have same theme and navigation for multiple sites using hub site and associated sites concepts.

Check below Microsoft official documentations for detailed information about this: 

1. SharePoint information architecture - Guiding principle: the world is flat 
  2. Planning your SharePoint hub sites  

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

View solution in original post