My PowerPoint document properties keep reverting when I save the file

Copper Contributor

My PowerPoint document properties keep reverting when I save the file
I am experience a strange issue. I am on SharePoint online and I have a SharePoint library with several columns to that I update the document metadata/properties (manually or by a power automate flow).

However from today for some reason, after I have updated the document metadata/properties, if I open the file and let it auto-save or even if I do change something in it and save it, all the recent metadata/properties gets wiped and those that remain get overwritten with the default/previous old values.

Through investigating this, I am pretty sure it isn't being caused by a rouge power automate flow as I turned them all off and it still did it. I think it has retained a value on the actual PowerPoint file property and this is what overwrites what's been updated on the column on the SharePoint library. This happens immediately after saving.

Any help to resolve this? As I need the updated columns to remain as they are unless changed either manually or by a flow.

I am using:

SharePoint Online

Office 365

7 Replies
Hi, I hope you are well,
I think this will do.

Click File > Info to view the Properties section on the Info tab.

Click Show Details.

Edit the property value in the metadata web dialog box. This dialog box is the same as the metadata web dialog box in the Microsoft SharePoint web user interface.

Click OK to save your changes to the property.
No, The scenario is as follows:

1. I created a document and uploaded to SharePoint and updated Metadata/field named "Status" to Pending.
2. From SharePoint I opened the file in desktop application, did some modification in the file content and saved it. No modification were done in Metadata fields of the document.
3. I started a flow which updated the "Status" field to Approved.
4. Again from SharePoint I opened the file in desktop application, did some modifications in the file content but no modification were done in Metadata fields of the document and saved it. Here the problem started, when I saved the file it reverted "Status" field value to Pending. This should not happen.
1. Please confirm what other 'Status' field values are possible, aside from "Pending" and "Approved", 2. Are you using Set Content Approval Status action in PowerAutomate?
3. Is approval required by the SharePoint library the file is stored in?

@Dharam1 We are having a similar issue (started 28/10/2022). Did you find any resolution to this? 

@Sourceress 

Below is answer to your questions:

1. Not Started, "Pending", "Approved" and Rejected

2. Are you using Set Content Approval Status action in PowerAutomate? No
3. Is approval required by the SharePoint library the file is stored in? No

No Mark but can you please post your exact issue here?
Check if this helps:

In the application (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) > File > Options > Save:

• Click on 'Delete cached files'
• Check ‘Delete files from the office document cache when they are closed’

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/required-choice-column-reverts-to-previous-choice-...